Expectations

Wanting some opinions on these expectations. I've been working in my current job in a surgical subspecialty for about 1.5 years, after working in Family med for 3 years. I see new patients, return patients and a lot of post op; I do not go to the OR. I went on maternity leave and returned to a much lighter schedule (not by but choice, but due to another physician joining). Lately there are days where since I am slow the nurses go with my SP to our other location and I am told that since I know how to do all of the rooming, etc. that I will just be without a nurse for the day. Upon initial hire, I was told the doctor takes all of their own calls, a couple months in and I am seeing all hospital consults when my SP is on call twice a month. After returning from maternity leave I am told that I will be taking first call every day SP is on call (half of the month) and more recently told that the hospital is requiring a 1:4 call schedule and that the week my SP is on call I'll just take all calls (unsure as of right now if that will require me going into the hospital to see consults). No change in salary with any of these added responsibilities (bonus available but I keep being reminded that since my schedule is so slow, I'm probably not anywhere close to bonus.) I left my last job because I have 2 very young children at home and want to be home with them as much as possible.

As a senior surgical PA, I understand your plight and observe that you have been bushwacked by your employers who may have made you feel that you are so fortunate to be working with them. You are a Mom with two young children and will never be in this situation again. Nothing, I repeat, nothing is as important as sharing your time without the stress of this job, with your children who need your love and support. Regret can be a continuous nightmare particularly when it is regret from being less of a parent than you can be. Try a modified UC job where you have the necessary background and can easily gain additional knowledge and stay true to your employment contract.

Archived