Apps as graduation gifts

MY DAUGHTER IS GRADUATING AS A PA THIS MONTH.  I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT POSSIBLE GIFTS --SOMEONE SUGJGESTED SUBSCRIPTION TO A MEDICAL RESOURCE APP--I SEE THAT THERE ARE A BUNCH--ANY THOUGHTS ON WHICH APPS ARE MOST USEFUL? ANY FAVORITES?  IS THIS SOMETHING THAT COMES WITH EMPLOYMENT USUALLY? 

MOST GRATEFUL FOR ANY FEEDBACK.

Apps as a part of employment varies but most have something available. Here we have UpTpDate as a paid service. The apps that might be needed could vary some depending on what field she is going into. Epocrates is a good all around app. I have kept the Sandford guide to Antibiotics for years. If she is going into a specialty there are probably other, better choices.

Hey Andisw,

Congratulations to your daughter. A big accomplishment!

It's tough to give advice on any one app because the usefulness of the app varies on a number of factors, the biggest one being which field she's going into.

You'd probably be best suited to have her get whatever apps or subscriptions she ends up using on her own and getting her something non-medical related to show her how proud you are.

All the best.

Personally, I've always found apps not as friendly as they may seem.  Some are simply web interfaces to a website, and you...are...waiting... while it loads.  Or you are in a location where you just can't get access.  Most of the time, I have found the time it takes to take out the phone, type in my password, navigate to the app, login, and do whatever, I could have alt tabbed to either up-to-date or googled whatever I'm looking for (usually usptf recommendations or ascvd calculator).  Epocrates I remember takes forever.

Personally, (and I'm wishy washy like this) a picture of my mom and I at graduation on my desk helps me the most on a daily basis.  And I graduated when I was 39.  A picture of my dad before he died reminds me why I do it daily.  A little shadow box of my school patch and name tag is nice too.  I wore those things nearly every day for twenty eight months.

So, I don't like apps.  Mostly because they don't get going as fast as I do (ha) and I don't want to advertise my phone.

4 hours ago, thinkertdm said:

Personally, (and I'm wishy washy like this) a picture of my mom and I at graduation on my desk helps me the most on a daily basis.  And I graduated when I was 39.  A picture of my dad before he died reminds me why I do it daily.  A little shadow box of my school patch and name tag is nice too.  I wore those things nearly every day for twenty eight months.

I think I’m crying now

Archived