GPA dilemmas

Hello... I CUm GPA is 2.8, and my science GPA may be a little lower than that. I have a degree in Biology and have been a teacher for 10 years. I have 9 years experience as a paid EMT-I (but have not been working EMS for 2 years).

I retook A & P two summers ago, and earned a B+ in both sequences.

My question is, should I retake the science pre-reqs (varies among programs), and in my narrative focus on my improved GPA (after retaking a few course, obviously)?? Does being out of EMS hamper my healthcare experience, or will they count the years I accumulated?

Thanks, folks!

Hello... I CUm GPA is 2.8, and my science GPA may be a little lower than that. I have a degree in Biology and have been a teacher for 10 years. I have 9 years experience as a paid EMT-I (but have not been working EMS for 2 years).

I retook A & P two summers ago, and earned a B+ in both sequences.

My question is, should I retake the science pre-reqs (varies among programs), and in my narrative focus on my improved GPA (after retaking a few course, obviously)?? Does being out of EMS hamper my healthcare experience, or will they count the years I accumulated?

Thanks, folks!

What do you teach and to what grade levels, Don? I suggest retaking any prerequisites that you made a C or lower in and working towards bumping your GPA pass the 3.0 mark so that more schools won't immediately toss out your application. There are some schools that will put less emphasis on your overall GPA as compared to an upward trend in your grades.

What do you teach and to what grade levels, Don? I suggest retaking any prerequisites that you made a C or lower in and working towards bumping your GPA pass the 3.0 mark so that more schools won't immediately toss out your application. There are some schools that will put less emphasis on your overall GPA as compared to an upward trend in your grades.

I also have a GPA dilemma. I'm above the requirements for all the schools I want to apply to, but my current GPA is about a 3.2. I wouldn't be too worried if this was due to grades from a freshman year, but I actually never had a real freshman year. I served as a medic in the army for four years, then went back to college to purse PA school. Under the GI bill, I only had 36 months of education and needed the money to live throughout summers so I've been in school nonstop since Spring 2010. I'm supposed to graduate in a total of 2 3/4 years, and then plan to take an additional term to complete some additional prerequisites. I wanted to graduate this quickly so that I could apply to schools with the December 31st deadline for the bachelor's degree. Now that I'm closer to applying, I am a little concerned because I've been taking 5-6 courses every term and am struggling with physics. I got a C+ last term and expect something similar this term, as well as moved in the middle so my GPA that entire term suffered a bit. I'm worried that I have too many B's and that a few C's in the mix at the end of my degree might be a red flag. The physics at my school is known to be extremely difficult, with over 42% of students getting a C- or below, so I don't feel that it's really a reflection of my work-ethic in this course. Does anyone know of specific programs that emphasize either life experience, volunteer work and HCE more than GPA, or that tend to look at the number of courses students take each term rather than just grades that came out?

I also have a GPA dilemma. I'm above the requirements for all the schools I want to apply to, but my current GPA is about a 3.2. I wouldn't be too worried if this was due to grades from a freshman year, but I actually never had a real freshman year. I served as a medic in the army for four years, then went back to college to purse PA school. Under the GI bill, I only had 36 months of education and needed the money to live throughout summers so I've been in school nonstop since Spring 2010. I'm supposed to graduate in a total of 2 3/4 years, and then plan to take an additional term to complete some additional prerequisites. I wanted to graduate this quickly so that I could apply to schools with the December 31st deadline for the bachelor's degree. Now that I'm closer to applying, I am a little concerned because I've been taking 5-6 courses every term and am struggling with physics. I got a C+ last term and expect something similar this term, as well as moved in the middle so my GPA that entire term suffered a bit. I'm worried that I have too many B's and that a few C's in the mix at the end of my degree might be a red flag. The physics at my school is known to be extremely difficult, with over 42% of students getting a C- or below, so I don't feel that it's really a reflection of my work-ethic in this course. Does anyone know of specific programs that emphasize either life experience, volunteer work and HCE more than GPA, or that tend to look at the number of courses students take each term rather than just grades that came out?

I teach high school math and science. So, when retaking "pre-reqs" you mean retaking courses that program require?

Since I have 9 years EMS experience, but have not been involved for a couple years, will that matter? Or... should I get back into part-time?

Some schools require recent hce. I had to go back for 2 years when i took a break from the medical field. There are programs with below 3.0 gpa reqs and more lenient hce reqs. Those may be good options for you.

Having said that, i agree with getting the grades up AND getting recent hce. It shows tge ADCOM u are commited to this endeavor no matter the cost.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

I teach high school math and science. So, when retaking "pre-reqs" you mean retaking courses that program require?

Since I have 9 years EMS experience, but have not been involved for a couple years, will that matter? Or... should I get back into part-time?

Some schools require recent hce. I had to go back for 2 years when i took a break from the medical field. There are programs with below 3.0 gpa reqs and more lenient hce reqs. Those may be good options for you.

Having said that, i agree with getting the grades up AND getting recent hce. It shows tge ADCOM u are commited to this endeavor no matter the cost.

Thanks for info!

-Don

Archived