Commute or Not to commute? that is the question...

You are asking a totally subjective question with little to no real information to help set the stage.

1. How good of student are you? Squeak by, or comfortable with academic performance? aka: can you afford to lose 2 hours a day?

2. Do you have any serious health care experience? aka: Will the information coming at you be familiar, or will it all be new? aka: can you afford to lose 2 hours a day?

3. Is your transportation reliable? aka: can you afford to miss a day of class?

4. Is the weather reliable? Will a snowstorm make your 2 hours turn into 5 or 6 hours?

5. Can you learn audibly? aka: Can/will you record the lectures and listen to them during your commute? aka: utilizing those 2 hours a day?

6. Have you ever commuted that far before on a regular basis? I did for 3.5 years while working 12 hour shifts. I can tell you, it is not pleasant. Your experience may or may not differ

7. Gas prices are $4/gallon and predicted to bumping $5/gallon by summer. Let's pretend your vehicle averages 20 miles per gallon because I can divide that into 120 miles pretty easily. That's 6 gallons a day. That's 24 dollars per day. I like easy math, so I'll call it 25/day, 5 days/week = 125/week in fuel costs. 40 week school year equals to $5000 in fuel costs...assuming fuel doesn't rise above $4/gallon. If it rises to 4.50/gallon, price goes up by about 400/yr. If you change your oil every 3000 miles, you will need an oil change every 5 weeks. That's 8 oil changes...at $30/event (very conservative costs), that's an additional $240/school yr. So...all in all, you can conservatively estimate your additional cost may be around $6000/yr for your commuting.

7. What does your husband think about you commuting? Point of contention or he has no opinion to the contrary? Keep in mind that any small glitches in the household have potential to become HUGE CHASMS during the stress of PA school.

8. Will your school be understanding when you can't make it into class because of commuting issues?

9. (I am out of order, but had a thought) 6000/year in commuting costs for 10 month stint.. think you can find housing for 600/mth aka: renting out a room? You can save the wear and tear on your car, decrease your overall objective danger level of commuting on the roads (one of the top killers of healthy free range humans), leave more time to study during the week and afford you the opportunity to go home on the weekends, homework free, and dedicate high quality time to your spouse. This is what I do. I am 2.5 hours from home. Been home every weekend of didactic year except for 2, where my family came to see me. While at school I live in a very quiet, nice, 3 bedroom house with two other students with a monthly housing cost of about 500/month. I stay connected to my fellow students (future peers/networking sources). I don't mind late nights in the classroom, I get plenty of sleep, and my marriage is surviving beautifully.

So short answer...if you're smart and/or a hard worker and don't mind the extra stressors/expense of commuting, knock yourself out. I simply caution you that if you don't have much experience with the toll that commuting that far takes, be prepared. It'll be insidious.

You are asking a totally subjective question with little to no real information to help set the stage.

1. How good of student are you? Squeak by, or comfortable with academic performance? aka: can you afford to lose 2 hours a day?

2. Do you have any serious health care experience? aka: Will the information coming at you be familiar, or will it all be new? aka: can you afford to lose 2 hours a day?

3. Is your transportation reliable? aka: can you afford to miss a day of class?

4. Is the weather reliable? Will a snowstorm make your 2 hours turn into 5 or 6 hours?

5. Can you learn audibly? aka: Can/will you record the lectures and listen to them during your commute? aka: utilizing those 2 hours a day?

6. Have you ever commuted that far before on a regular basis? I did for 3.5 years while working 12 hour shifts. I can tell you, it is not pleasant. Your experience may or may not differ

7. Gas prices are $4/gallon and predicted to bumping $5/gallon by summer. Let's pretend your vehicle averages 20 miles per gallon because I can divide that into 120 miles pretty easily. That's 6 gallons a day. That's 24 dollars per day. I like easy math, so I'll call it 25/day, 5 days/week = 125/week in fuel costs. 40 week school year equals to $5000 in fuel costs...assuming fuel doesn't rise above $4/gallon. If it rises to 4.50/gallon, price goes up by about 400/yr. If you change your oil every 3000 miles, you will need an oil change every 5 weeks. That's 8 oil changes...at $30/event (very conservative costs), that's an additional $240/school yr. So...all in all, you can conservatively estimate your additional cost may be around $6000/yr for your commuting.

7. What does your husband think about you commuting? Point of contention or he has no opinion to the contrary? Keep in mind that any small glitches in the household have potential to become HUGE CHASMS during the stress of PA school.

8. Will your school be understanding when you can't make it into class because of commuting issues?

9. (I am out of order, but had a thought) 6000/year in commuting costs for 10 month stint.. think you can find housing for 600/mth aka: renting out a room? You can save the wear and tear on your car, decrease your overall objective danger level of commuting on the roads (one of the top killers of healthy free range humans), leave more time to study during the week and afford you the opportunity to go home on the weekends, homework free, and dedicate high quality time to your spouse. This is what I do. I am 2.5 hours from home. Been home every weekend of didactic year except for 2, where my family came to see me. While at school I live in a very quiet, nice, 3 bedroom house with two other students with a monthly housing cost of about 500/month. I stay connected to my fellow students (future peers/networking sources). I don't mind late nights in the classroom, I get plenty of sleep, and my marriage is surviving beautifully.

So short answer...if you're smart and/or a hard worker and don't mind the extra stressors/expense of commuting, knock yourself out. I simply caution you that if you don't have much experience with the toll that commuting that far takes, be prepared. It'll be insidious.

I have commuted the last two years 54 miles each way to complete my bachelors degree and prerequisites. I start the PA program at the same university this fall and will continue to commute every day. I have stayed at hotels twice during that time due to snowstorms. I do tape material and occasionally use the time to study. I have found it to be productive and expect to do a little more of that once the program starts this fall. I own a house, am married, and have two kids so moving closer to campus is not really a viable option for me. It can be done! (good luck)

I have commuted the last two years 54 miles each way to complete my bachelors degree and prerequisites. I start the PA program at the same university this fall and will continue to commute every day. I have stayed at hotels twice during that time due to snowstorms. I do tape material and occasionally use the time to study. I have found it to be productive and expect to do a little more of that once the program starts this fall. I own a house, am married, and have two kids so moving closer to campus is not really a viable option for me. It can be done! (good luck)

I am in a part time PA program and I commute to school (61 miles) and then to work (37 miles) and then back home (48 miles). Granted I only have to do this 1-2 times a week this first year depending on the semester with the part time program. To make good use of the time I either listen to lectures or if i need some me time I listen to music or audiobooks. On exam days it is nice to have that hour of driving before the exam where I just talk myself through all the material. The gas cost is no fun but moving was not an option for me.

Good luck! Whichever you choose you can make it work, you just have to decide which is more practical for you.

I am in a part time PA program and I commute to school (61 miles) and then to work (37 miles) and then back home (48 miles). Granted I only have to do this 1-2 times a week this first year depending on the semester with the part time program. To make good use of the time I either listen to lectures or if i need some me time I listen to music or audiobooks. On exam days it is nice to have that hour of driving before the exam where I just talk myself through all the material. The gas cost is no fun but moving was not an option for me.

Good luck! Whichever you choose you can make it work, you just have to decide which is more practical for you.

I will be 71 miles from my school. I have a husband, 2 kids, 2 dogs, & 15 chickens. I thought I would commute, but after much soul-searching I do not think it is wise for me. I need enough sleep and exercise: I turn very grumpy if I miss those too often. My plan is to drive in early Monday mornings, work extremely hard until Friday, and then drive home Friday afternoon (our program is supposed to be done early on Fridays) to spend quality time with my family. I think the uninterrupted time during the week will help me keep my focus. Also, if I am totally homesick and feeling OK about classwork/studying, I can just make the 1 1/2 hour drive and have a breather in the middle of the week. I will be taping my lectures anyway since I am pretty strong when it comes to auditory learning. Also, my husband made the point that they can come visit me at school too. Having a supportive spouse really helps take the pressure off this decision for me!

I will be 71 miles from my school. I have a husband, 2 kids, 2 dogs, & 15 chickens. I thought I would commute, but after much soul-searching I do not think it is wise for me. I need enough sleep and exercise: I turn very grumpy if I miss those too often. My plan is to drive in early Monday mornings, work extremely hard until Friday, and then drive home Friday afternoon (our program is supposed to be done early on Fridays) to spend quality time with my family. I think the uninterrupted time during the week will help me keep my focus. Also, if I am totally homesick and feeling OK about classwork/studying, I can just make the 1 1/2 hour drive and have a breather in the middle of the week. I will be taping my lectures anyway since I am pretty strong when it comes to auditory learning. Also, my husband made the point that they can come visit me at school too. Having a supportive spouse really helps take the pressure off this decision for me!

• Administrator

I moved my family ~120 miles to a house ~1.5 miles from campus. With renting our old house out, it was a net ~$300/month difference in housing costs. I biked a bit, but mostly just saved commuting miles on my car. I hate driving, but when I did have to do it, I made sure to have relevant podcasts for listening.

• Administrator

I moved my family ~120 miles to a house ~1.5 miles from campus. With renting our old house out, it was a net ~$300/month difference in housing costs. I biked a bit, but mostly just saved commuting miles on my car. I hate driving, but when I did have to do it, I made sure to have relevant podcasts for listening.

I believe we're in the same class at the same school:) I'll be commuting as well, and it'll be an hour and a half each way. I'm sure it will be very hard, but I'm hoping to record lectures to listen to in the car and make friends with people to possibly crash on their couch during a rough week (while helping with rent that week of course!). I'm 30 with a husband, a dog, and a mortgage so relocating isn't really a great option for me right now. We'll see how things go though! The school seems pretty flexible.

I believe we're in the same class at the same school:) I'll be commuting as well, and it'll be an hour and a half each way. I'm sure it will be very hard, but I'm hoping to record lectures to listen to in the car and make friends with people to possibly crash on their couch during a rough week (while helping with rent that week of course!). I'm 30 with a husband, a dog, and a mortgage so relocating isn't really a great option for me right now. We'll see how things go though! The school seems pretty flexible.

Archived