Should I be asking for more $ for a 5 hour a week job?

relative New grad on Long Island New York 

Looking to supplement my 40hr wk full time ortho job with a once a week/per diem thing. a fam med/urgent care gave me an offer for Saturday hours. They seemed super impressed/desperate to get me working.

Saturdays are hard for them to get someone for, and it makes sense.. its Saturday.. weathers getting warmer and spring is in the air.. Should I ask for more?

Saturday PA 9am-2pm. they said to expect 16-20pts from 9-1 and then one hour to catch up on documentation 

they asked me how much Id like and since I make 65/hr at my current job, I went with that. they accepted.

But after taxes and the 20 min drive each way, and the fact that its on a Saturday.. doesnt seem like its really lucrative. 

They would have to pay for my malpractice which is ~$4,300/yr so I understand they're not exactly getting the most bang for their buck if I only work 5 hours a week.

Just trying to figure out how the whole per diem thing works.

Thanks in advance!

Should have NOT thrown out the first number. I always says "what is the position budgeted for?" I interviewed for a UC PRN (weekends only) position today and they told me the number range. This is my second interview at a UC and they both gave me the salary range when I threw the phrase out. I declined the first offer as it was terrible pay and lots of other red flags (7 patients per hour...haha!! yea right!), but I think this position will work out. Try to get them to throw the number out every time. It will benefit you every time. Good luck!

Comparing ortho to UC compensation is an apples to oranges issue.

You are a new grad, working in Ortho. The basis of your salary in Ortho is different from Urgent Care.

Start at the $65/hr, you likely have painted yourself into a corner with your first offer. Word to the wise, do some research prior to the offering phase of a job. Best to answer that question with above suggestion, what is it budgeted for, versus throwing out your own offer. Gives you time to think about situation you are getting into and also bounce that number off others.

Will you be working every Saturday? If so, that is a tough gig to pull off long term, you will be tired of that by year's end.

That said, you have a different skill set in Ortho and will have some stumbles in Urgent Care, employer may be baking that into your offer. Alternatively, you will gain some good experience and may determine to switch from Ortho to UC at some point. Upon re-evaluation in the future, you may determine that UC medicine, the salary or Saturdays are not for you and part ways.

Last, the UC experience will keep you sharp in general medicine vs full time ortho. That will be a dividend come recertification time.

Good luck.

George

Archived