Does CASPA check on this?

One of my coworkers has been showing me a few drafts of her personal statement, which I have been critiquing. She decided to completely rewrite her PS, and I read the new draft a few days ago. As I was reading it, I said to myself "I've read this before." I decided to Google a few of the phrases that did not sound like her "voice" and I found someone else's personal statement that she had been "working" off of. When I compare the two, at least 50-60% of the statement is plagiarized (with the exact same wording) or blatantly paraphrased. When I confronted her, she did not own up to it. Does CASPA (or the PA schools) check to see if statements have been copied?

Yikes! Even if there is no electronic cross checking, admissions committee members are highly perceptive and may check as you did, or their internal BS detector will pick up on it. 

Personally, I would give them a reality check and remind them how competitive this process is and also harp on the unethicalness of plagiarization. After that, it's in their hands. 

Archived