Human Trafficking

For years different places I have been had mandatory classes on human trafficking. Because I was in very rural east Texas and now am in small suburban east Texas I always kind of rolled my eyes. There aren't truck loads of kidnapped Phillipine children out here. This week I had to reconsider my position.

I was tagged for jury duty..something I wasn't too worried about because as many times as I have been called I never make it through voir dire. Past law enforcement experience....a little iffy on innocent until proven guilty some days. This time they didn't really do a deep dive and I ended up on a jury. The case? A 21 year old man having sex with a 14 year old girl. But wait...there's more!

There were 2 girls though our case was only in regards to one. They were chronic runaways who run right to the closest pimp so they have someone to care for them while they are in the wind. They had been prostituted in Dallas for a while and the pimp basically loaned them to this 21 year old so he could bring them here to Tyler TX and try his hand at pimping. He decided to sample the goods before "making some money."

Being a criminal mastermind he had a 3rd party use his ID to rent the room (because he didn't have any) and then paid for the room with a stolen credit card which triggered an alert and eventually a police presence. Much investigating takes place, interviews, DNA tests etc. Man gets 15 years from us.

What I learned during this trial and from the experts that testified is this is really the face of human trafficking in the US with the force and kidnap group being a much more uncommon way of doing business. Now I have to pay more attention at work and when they have those classes.........

Human trafficking is a huge issue that tends to run under the radar. Many people, especially healthcare professionals, are woefully undereducated about how to recognize it and what to do about it. This is what I’m doing my capstone project on, and the numbers I’m finding are very interesting. Hopefully things start to change in the next 5-10 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived