Memberships?

Quick question: on the application, what qualifies as a professional membership? I am a member of two collegiate national honor societies and Alpha Chi Sigma, a professional chemistry fraternity. Should these be included under membership, or should I list the honor societies as awards/honors? I'm pretty sure the honor societies are achievements, and the fraternity is more experience?

Thank you!

Yes, honor societies are achievements. You decide for yourself what you think the fraternity is. I think it could be an achievement or a membership. 

I would just pick one. I don’t think a program would be like “wow, they really put this in the wrong category. Next.”

Here’s the descriptions and examples from CASPA. 

https://help.liaisonedu.com/CASPA_Applicant_Help_Center/Filling_Out_Your_CASPA_Application/3._CASPA_Supporting_Information

28 minutes ago, PA2O18 said:

Yes, honor societies are achievements. You decide for yourself what you think the fraternity is. I think it could be an achievement or a membership. 

I would just pick one. I don’t think a program would be like “wow, they really put this in the wrong category. Next.”

Here’s the descriptions and examples from CASPA. 

https://help.liaisonedu.com/CASPA_Applicant_Help_Center/Filling_Out_Your_CASPA_Application/3._CASPA_Supporting_Information

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it! So with the fraternity, I was a brother so was in involved with a ton of volunteer outreach. Some I will be including as a separate experience (I organized and ran a bone marrow registry drive through the frat). I also held two very different leadership roles in the fraternity. So I guess for experience, I was going to list the fraternity 4 times: 

1) Brother: basically just talk about my membership, and a ton fo the outreach and things I did within the organization that didn't rack up enough hours to be a separate entry. Like we did science fairs, chemistry tutoring, highway clean ups, dog walking, senior center visits, etc. I did all of those things through the fraternity.

2) Historian: an appointed position that did things outside the brother role, and was leadership so I was going to list it as such, but as its own entry

3) Master of Ceremonies: new year, and I was elected this position. It also had new responsibilities regular brothers never did and was leadership

4) Bone Marrow Registry Drive: this was through an organization (Delete Blood Cancer) but I hosted it through the fraternity (the brothers were the volunteers at the drive doing registration). I was just going to mention it was through the fraternity, but it was an event I held, planned and ran myself 3 times so I believe it warrants a separate listing. 

Does this seem okay? And if so, I should not list it as a membership since there is so mnuch experience there, correct?

Another question I'm so sorry! I am a volunteer EMT, have been for 5 years. 2 years in, I was appointed as a field training officer. Should these be separate listings in experience, or should I bundle them since they are both the same organization? (I'd consider the field training more leadership while the EMT is healthcare but I didn't differentiate hours, I just have the set number from all my volunteer time). Thanks!

Archived