unusual situation. Advice wanted!!!

I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me. I was accepted into an accelerated PA program as an undergraduate. Due to personal/academic reasons I withdrew from the program and I am now graduating as a Senior from college taking undergraduate courses to finish my degree. I have good grades  (A's/B's) but I am worried about 3 B/C's.

I am still 110% interested in becoming a PA. It will show up on my transcript that I was in PA school before.

I know that I need to take a year off to mature and get all the pt contact hours that I did not need to get into PA school the first time. I also currently work in the ED.

What recommendations does anyone have to tell other schools why I withdrew and what chance do you think I have of getting in?

Thank you!

I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me. I was accepted into an accelerated PA program as an undergraduate. Due to personal/academic reasons I withdrew from the program and I am now graduating as a Senior from college taking undergraduate courses to finish my degree. I have good grades  (A's/B's) but I am worried about 3 B/C's.

I am still 110% interested in becoming a PA. It will show up on my transcript that I was in PA school before.

I know that I need to take a year off to mature and get all the pt contact hours that I did not need to get into PA school the first time. I also currently work in the ED.

What recommendations does anyone have to tell other schools why I withdrew and what chance do you think I have of getting in?

Thank you!

Yea I was in a 5 year undergrad/graduate program. I do plan on telling them the truth about why I withdrew.

What I struggled with the most was my first dictatic year because I really knew nothing about medicine starting out. I had only volunteered in a hospital by talking to patients and worked as a secretary in a small urgent care office. The hardest part was applying all these worse diagnosis ect to something I had never seen before.

I currently work in the ED and know exactly what is going on down the the physical and hx that the doc/PAs preform.

I plan on telling them I needed time to mature and and spend time really working in the medical field. I currently work and a medical scribe in the Ed and really fully understand how a PA functions because I work with Pa's docs, nurses, techs ect.

Has anyone heard of someone withdrawing or getting let go and re-entering another program?

I really want to be a PA more than anything but I don't want to wait 3 more years trying to get in. I am also considering NP school that has a built in accelerated RN program because of this.

What advice can you give me about making my application more appealing. I want to get a ER tech job and take a few extra classes when I graduate my undergrad.

What are good classes to take to help in Pa school. I have taken Neuro, Microbiology, Pharmacology, Womens Health.

I am thinking about Genetics, immunology, embryology, cell biology.

Any others?

Yea I was in a 5 year undergrad/graduate program. I do plan on telling them the truth about why I withdrew.

What I struggled with the most was my first dictatic year because I really knew nothing about medicine starting out. I had only volunteered in a hospital by talking to patients and worked as a secretary in a small urgent care office. The hardest part was applying all these worse diagnosis ect to something I had never seen before.

I currently work in the ED and know exactly what is going on down the the physical and hx that the doc/PAs preform.

I plan on telling them I needed time to mature and and spend time really working in the medical field. I currently work and a medical scribe in the Ed and really fully understand how a PA functions because I work with Pa's docs, nurses, techs ect.

Has anyone heard of someone withdrawing or getting let go and re-entering another program?

I really want to be a PA more than anything but I don't want to wait 3 more years trying to get in. I am also considering NP school that has a built in accelerated RN program because of this.

What advice can you give me about making my application more appealing. I want to get a ER tech job and take a few extra classes when I graduate my undergrad.

What are good classes to take to help in Pa school. I have taken Neuro, Microbiology, Pharmacology, Womens Health.

I am thinking about Genetics, immunology, embryology, cell biology.

Any others?

I think its wise to take a year off if that is what you need to do. I can honestly say I would not have been ready if I had done the accelerated program so I can totally understand where you are coming from. Also, only one of my classmates went straight from undergrad to PA school, and I know she struggled a lot with grasping the clinical aspect of things

PA school is not for the faint of heart as you know. Take a year, get some experience under your belt, (ask as many questions as possible) and save some money! When you do start the application process you will feel more prepared. As far as classes go, the only class I took prior to school which I could say was helpful was microbiology besides A/P. If you can take some intro pharm courses that might be beneficial as well. I can't tell you how much having a solid foundation would have helped. When you have so little time to study, having the basics down allows time for other things.

I hope this helps. Good Luck :)

I think its wise to take a year off if that is what you need to do. I can honestly say I would not have been ready if I had done the accelerated program so I can totally understand where you are coming from. Also, only one of my classmates went straight from undergrad to PA school, and I know she struggled a lot with grasping the clinical aspect of things

PA school is not for the faint of heart as you know. Take a year, get some experience under your belt, (ask as many questions as possible) and save some money! When you do start the application process you will feel more prepared. As far as classes go, the only class I took prior to school which I could say was helpful was microbiology besides A/P. If you can take some intro pharm courses that might be beneficial as well. I can't tell you how much having a solid foundation would have helped. When you have so little time to study, having the basics down allows time for other things.

I hope this helps. Good Luck :)

Archived