Organic Chemistry II

Hey everyone! Quick questions here. Right now I'm looking to take Biochemistry online. However, I've yet to find a program that DOESNT require O-Chem 2. Seeing as how no PA school requires this, I'd rather not take a subject I don't need just to take a course that only half of the programs I'm applying to require. Has anyone else run into this issue? Did you take Ochem II and then do biochemistry or did you find a way to take biochemistry with just ochem I? Thanks for any and all help.

Hey everyone! Quick questions here. Right now I'm looking to take Biochemistry online. However, I've yet to find a program that DOESNT require O-Chem 2. Seeing as how no PA school requires this, I'd rather not take a subject I don't need just to take a course that only half of the programs I'm applying to require. Has anyone else run into this issue? Did you take Ochem II and then do biochemistry or did you find a way to take biochemistry with just ochem I? Thanks for any and all help.

My university only req'd O Chem I as a pre-req to biochem, so it can def be done. (I don't really recall in which order I took the classes, though.) If it helps any, I thought O Chem II was much easier than O Chem I. I'm probably gonna be in the minority, but I recommend taking it. I think having a solid foundation in the sciences can only be beneficial later.

I'm pretty sure someone started a thread for online biochem classes. You should check that link and see if any of the recommended programs are "O Chem I only" ones.

My university only req'd O Chem I as a pre-req to biochem, so it can def be done. (I don't really recall in which order I took the classes, though.) If it helps any, I thought O Chem II was much easier than O Chem I. I'm probably gonna be in the minority, but I recommend taking it. I think having a solid foundation in the sciences can only be beneficial later.

I'm pretty sure someone started a thread for online biochem classes. You should check that link and see if any of the recommended programs are "O Chem I only" ones.

Most of the time the prereqs for a class are flexible...especially if you are a non degree student. Try to register. If that doesn't work, send the professor an email explaining who you are and why you want to take the class. Be honest about what prereqs you haveand haven't taken and state that if there is any background you are missing, you will work outside of class to make sure you understand the material. I've done this countless numbers of times and it has never failed me.

Most of the time the prereqs for a class are flexible...especially if you are a non degree student. Try to register. If that doesn't work, send the professor an email explaining who you are and why you want to take the class. Be honest about what prereqs you haveand haven't taken and state that if there is any background you are missing, you will work outside of class to make sure you understand the material. I've done this countless numbers of times and it has never failed me.

University of New England offers biochem online and you dont have to have Ochem to do it. When I spoke to the professor he simply said that if you dont have ochem you might struggle with parts of biochem however that was the students choice. I dont know anything about the class because ultimately I decided not to take biochem because I got accepted into my #1 program and didnt need it.....hope that helps, heres the link to the syllabus, etc.

http://faculty.une.edu/com/courses/bionut/distbio/syllabus.html

University of New England offers biochem online and you dont have to have Ochem to do it. When I spoke to the professor he simply said that if you dont have ochem you might struggle with parts of biochem however that was the students choice. I dont know anything about the class because ultimately I decided not to take biochem because I got accepted into my #1 program and didnt need it.....hope that helps, heres the link to the syllabus, etc.

http://faculty.une.edu/com/courses/bionut/distbio/syllabus.html

^^^ UNE does offer the biochem course without a pre-requisite for Orgo II. IMO, the courses for UNE are very convenient. The curriculum is pretty much identical to other programs/schools curriculae as well. Orgo I from UNE was extremely difficult for me, most likely because chemistry is not my strong suit. If you did venture to take Orgo II from UNE I would highly suggest it. I registered for the course about 2 1/2 weeks ago, and by the time I recieved my materials I was already 3/4 of the way through the course (all through lectures on blackboard).. mind you I studied for about 8-10 hours per day. Having the foundation of Orgo I obvioulsy makes it easier, but I did not find myself struggling through II as I did for I, mostly because I found you do not need to memorize/understand so many reactions and mechanisms. Also, Orgo II at UNE focuses alot on Biochemistry.. I was actually confused and made sure I wasn't taking Biochem! The most reactions you will see have to do with the citric acid cycle, and even then they are mainly redox and hydration reactions and the focus is hardly on the reactions at all, rather the products. Needless to say, after the 2 1/2 weeks I am finished with the course and am now studying for the final. Does that mean it's a cake walk? No.. you just need to focus your time on it. It is easy!

Hope this helps!

^^^ UNE does offer the biochem course without a pre-requisite for Orgo II. IMO, the courses for UNE are very convenient. The curriculum is pretty much identical to other programs/schools curriculae as well. Orgo I from UNE was extremely difficult for me, most likely because chemistry is not my strong suit. If you did venture to take Orgo II from UNE I would highly suggest it. I registered for the course about 2 1/2 weeks ago, and by the time I recieved my materials I was already 3/4 of the way through the course (all through lectures on blackboard).. mind you I studied for about 8-10 hours per day. Having the foundation of Orgo I obvioulsy makes it easier, but I did not find myself struggling through II as I did for I, mostly because I found you do not need to memorize/understand so many reactions and mechanisms. Also, Orgo II at UNE focuses alot on Biochemistry.. I was actually confused and made sure I wasn't taking Biochem! The most reactions you will see have to do with the citric acid cycle, and even then they are mainly redox and hydration reactions and the focus is hardly on the reactions at all, rather the products. Needless to say, after the 2 1/2 weeks I am finished with the course and am now studying for the final. Does that mean it's a cake walk? No.. you just need to focus your time on it. It is easy!

Hope this helps!

Hope this helps!

Is the final proctored or online?

Hope this helps!

Is the final proctored or online?

Yes, what Oneal said. They have a pretty unique online proctoring set-up which is very convenient. To answer the question, it is online, and yes it does need to be proctored. So, it is essentially an open book/open note test. Pretty cake I guess, but when you are required to learn and master the material on your own, it sort of makes up for it.

Yes, what Oneal said. They have a pretty unique online proctoring set-up which is very convenient. To answer the question, it is online, and yes it does need to be proctored. So, it is essentially an open book/open note test. Pretty cake I guess, but when you are required to learn and master the material on your own, it sort of makes up for it.

Archived