College freshman majoring in Exercise & Sports Science minoring in Biology

Hello. I just wanted to gather up some opinions or advice concerning my situation...

I'm a first year college student, and I had *originally* planned on majoring in Chemistry.. but after taking Intro to Chem at my college, I decided that wasn't the best route if I wanted to maintain a decent G.P.A...

I do want to take organic chemistry and such, but taking those classes won't help me in the long run if they aren't pre reqs to PA school, and if I end up with awful grades (the chemistry department at my school is very rigorous...).

Right now in my second semester, I'm currently taking two science classes and it's safe to say I've never been this stressed in my entire life.. I don't really think I can handle being a bio/chem major without being constantly stressed out and having absolutely no social life. So will it look necessarily bad if I major in something that's not purely science? I came across exercise and sports science and it looks quite intriguing and doesn't require organic chem and such. But the major does heavily focus on anatomy, which I know is a common pre req for most PA schools. To cover the pre reqs, I think I might minor in Biology.. but doing this, I'm scared that PA schools might think I'm "taking a shortcut" by not majoring in bio/chem... Could anyone give me advice on this? I might just end up majoring in Biology just because I'm beginning to doubt this...

*EDIT*.. Just some other information. I do work hard.. Reading this, I feel like people may see me as someone who doesn't want to work hard and just glide through to PA school. I made a five in AP chem, but I decided to retake intro chem classes to refresh my memory. In my classes, I am struggling to get a B... The sciences at my school are based on a bell curve so it's hard to be "above average" to maintain a B or A. Being a PA is my absolute dream job. I think I'm just gonna have to face the facts and suck it up.. but I've considered transferring to another school... but it doesn't make sense for me to transfer to an easier, academic wise school since I am attending a great school with one of the best academics in the nation.... :(

Hello. I just wanted to gather up some opinions or advice concerning my situation...

I'm a first year college student, and I had *originally* planned on majoring in Chemistry.. but after taking Intro to Chem at my college, I decided that wasn't the best route if I wanted to maintain a decent G.P.A...

I do want to take organic chemistry and such, but taking those classes won't help me in the long run if they aren't pre reqs to PA school, and if I end up with awful grades (the chemistry department at my school is very rigorous...).

Right now in my second semester, I'm currently taking two science classes and it's safe to say I've never been this stressed in my entire life.. I don't really think I can handle being a bio/chem major without being constantly stressed out and having absolutely no social life. So will it look necessarily bad if I major in something that's not purely science? I came across exercise and sports science and it looks quite intriguing and doesn't require organic chem and such. But the major does heavily focus on anatomy, which I know is a common pre req for most PA schools. To cover the pre reqs, I think I might minor in Biology.. but doing this, I'm scared that PA schools might think I'm "taking a shortcut" by not majoring in bio/chem... Could anyone give me advice on this? I might just end up majoring in Biology just because I'm beginning to doubt this...

*EDIT*.. Just some other information. I do work hard.. Reading this, I feel like people may see me as someone who doesn't want to work hard and just glide through to PA school. I made a five in AP chem, but I decided to retake intro chem classes to refresh my memory. In my classes, I am struggling to get a B... The sciences at my school are based on a bell curve so it's hard to be "above average" to maintain a B or A. Being a PA is my absolute dream job. I think I'm just gonna have to face the facts and suck it up.. but I've considered transferring to another school... but it doesn't make sense for me to transfer to an easier, academic wise school since I am attending a great school with one of the best academics in the nation.... :(

You can choose any major your university offers. However, you'll still be accountable for the pre-reqs which are going to be from the sciences. It's a lil concerning that you're taking two basic science classes and having so much trouble. What do you think a PA program is going to consist of? I would figure out what you're doing wrong study-wise and address those issues if you hope to go to PA school. Blaming your school's chem dept isn't going to do you any good. The chem dept at my school is, in my opinion, the worst in the university, but I still had to do well in those classes.

Also, I don't think O Chem and other not-necessarily required classes are a waste by any means. Physics, O Chem I and II and biochem were required for my major and frankly, I'm glad I had to take them. They're just going to make later classes that much easier.

You can choose any major your university offers. However, you'll still be accountable for the pre-reqs which are going to be from the sciences. It's a lil concerning that you're taking two basic science classes and having so much trouble. What do you think a PA program is going to consist of? I would figure out what you're doing wrong study-wise and address those issues if you hope to go to PA school. Blaming your school's chem dept isn't going to do you any good. The chem dept at my school is, in my opinion, the worst in the university, but I still had to do well in those classes.

Also, I don't think O Chem and other not-necessarily required classes are a waste by any means. Physics, O Chem I and II and biochem were required for my major and frankly, I'm glad I had to take them. They're just going to make later classes that much easier.

Thanks for your input l.a.lewis! Yes, I do agree that I shouldn't be blaming the chem program at my school. I'm just frustrated at the grades I'm receiving... I did manage to get a A- in 1st level chem, but in the 2nd level I'm only doing average, which is considered a C .. :/

I have considered minoring in chemistry to get experience in organic chem, but I need to take the pre reqs for PA school as well.. and well, I might as well be majoring in Biology then.

Thanks for your input l.a.lewis! Yes, I do agree that I shouldn't be blaming the chem program at my school. I'm just frustrated at the grades I'm receiving... I did manage to get a A- in 1st level chem, but in the 2nd level I'm only doing average, which is considered a C .. :/

I have considered minoring in chemistry to get experience in organic chem, but I need to take the pre reqs for PA school as well.. and well, I might as well be majoring in Biology then.

Like l.a.lewis said, your major doesn't matter but no matter what you take, you won't be able to avoid taking those basic science courses. Don't be passive with your education. College is what you make it, so definitely take advantage of the free 1 on 1 tutoring or getting help directly from the professor during office hours. PA school is going to be hitting you far worse with the sciences so build up that foundation if you feel it is lacking. Put yourself in the patient's shoes and imagine the kind of PA you want to see you, not only one who is caring but is medically competent.

Like l.a.lewis said, your major doesn't matter but no matter what you take, you won't be able to avoid taking those basic science courses. Don't be passive with your education. College is what you make it, so definitely take advantage of the free 1 on 1 tutoring or getting help directly from the professor during office hours. PA school is going to be hitting you far worse with the sciences so build up that foundation if you feel it is lacking. Put yourself in the patient's shoes and imagine the kind of PA you want to see you, not only one who is caring but is medically competent.

Most PA schools I looked in to required an intro series to bio, chem, at least 1 semester of ochem and 1 semester of biochem, along with many other science courses. There are some that dont require all of these courses, but from my experiences those were more difficult to find than those that did have these as a requirement. If you want to keep your options open, you might as well take them.

Most PA schools I looked in to required an intro series to bio, chem, at least 1 semester of ochem and 1 semester of biochem, along with many other science courses. There are some that dont require all of these courses, but from my experiences those were more difficult to find than those that did have these as a requirement. If you want to keep your options open, you might as well take them.

I majored in Exercise Science and my undergrad was still very grueling because the only overlapped sciences were anatomy and physiology, and one chem class. This meant every semester was spent completing all of the required courses for the Exercise Science major, like Exercise Physiology and Kinesiology, and filling every available elective with the additional science courses required of PA schools, such as O Chem, Genetics, and Microbiology, not to mention all of the hours spent shadowing, volunteering, and working. I think the most practical thing for you to do would be to first find a major you will enjoy. Passion for what you are learning is the greatest motivator and good grades will therefore come easier. Second, meet with your advisor and tell them of your plans. They will work with you to find the best way to accomplish your goals. Third, mentally prepare yourself for the rigor of school either way, because it doesn't get any easier than where you are right now.

I majored in Exercise Science and my undergrad was still very grueling because the only overlapped sciences were anatomy and physiology, and one chem class. This meant every semester was spent completing all of the required courses for the Exercise Science major, like Exercise Physiology and Kinesiology, and filling every available elective with the additional science courses required of PA schools, such as O Chem, Genetics, and Microbiology, not to mention all of the hours spent shadowing, volunteering, and working. I think the most practical thing for you to do would be to first find a major you will enjoy. Passion for what you are learning is the greatest motivator and good grades will therefore come easier. Second, meet with your advisor and tell them of your plans. They will work with you to find the best way to accomplish your goals. Third, mentally prepare yourself for the rigor of school either way, because it doesn't get any easier than where you are right now.

Majors dont matter for PA school as long as you take the required pre reqs. I was a criminology and sociology major...I went on and got a masters in social work, however, I never took a science class above general biology for non majors while I was in undergrad. When I decided to go to PA school I took the required science classes but that was it, didn't do another bachelors or postbacc or anything. Keep in mind alot of schools require ochem and are going to start requiring biochem in 2013 so regardless of you major, you will still have to take those classes. I would suggest looking long and hard into your study habits and coping mechanisms because if you are constantly stressed out and concerned that you have no social life while taking 2 science classes, how do you think you will feel (and cope) when your first semester of PA school is like 7 classes????

Majors dont matter for PA school as long as you take the required pre reqs. I was a criminology and sociology major...I went on and got a masters in social work, however, I never took a science class above general biology for non majors while I was in undergrad. When I decided to go to PA school I took the required science classes but that was it, didn't do another bachelors or postbacc or anything. Keep in mind alot of schools require ochem and are going to start requiring biochem in 2013 so regardless of you major, you will still have to take those classes. I would suggest looking long and hard into your study habits and coping mechanisms because if you are constantly stressed out and concerned that you have no social life while taking 2 science classes, how do you think you will feel (and cope) when your first semester of PA school is like 7 classes????

Also, you could consider a double major. I have degrees in microbiology and Spanish; I even studied abroad a semester. It adds a little bit of time, but I'm happy I studied both subjects.

Oooh, one more thing. I think it's a bit of a mistake to jump right into a bunch of science classes as a freshman. Regardless of how smart you are, college and high school are two different kettles of fish and that necessitates a transition process. In addition, you're probably away from home, meeting new people, taking care of everything by yourself, etc. I don't think it's a bad idea to knock out the easier humanities courses as req'd by your school until you find out what works for you time- and study-wise. As a bonus, those classes will transfer to almost any major so if you switch later, it wasn't a waste of time. It sounds like you might be about done with your first year, so maybe this advice won't help you any.

Lastly, find out what resources your school has and use them! I went to my school for yrs before knowing all they had to offer...which is nuts because I'm definitely paying for those services! You could get free counseling, tutoring, help with writing, etc.

Also, you could consider a double major. I have degrees in microbiology and Spanish; I even studied abroad a semester. It adds a little bit of time, but I'm happy I studied both subjects.

Oooh, one more thing. I think it's a bit of a mistake to jump right into a bunch of science classes as a freshman. Regardless of how smart you are, college and high school are two different kettles of fish and that necessitates a transition process. In addition, you're probably away from home, meeting new people, taking care of everything by yourself, etc. I don't think it's a bad idea to knock out the easier humanities courses as req'd by your school until you find out what works for you time- and study-wise. As a bonus, those classes will transfer to almost any major so if you switch later, it wasn't a waste of time. It sounds like you might be about done with your first year, so maybe this advice won't help you any.

Lastly, find out what resources your school has and use them! I went to my school for yrs before knowing all they had to offer...which is nuts because I'm definitely paying for those services! You could get free counseling, tutoring, help with writing, etc.

Great advice!

Great advice!

Thanks for all the advice! To lala785, I looked at the requirements for the exercise sport science major, and you're right.. I didn't really realize only about two classes overlap with the pre reqs for PA school... I'm considering then majoring in Biology but in BA instead of BS? I looked at the BS, and it requires a lot more chemistry.. so majoring in BA might be the best thing for me... It's also a really flexible major in which I can choose from a really long list of allied sciences courses (which include organic chemistry and such), so I think I'm killing two birds with one stone with this? I'm just trying to have as less stress as possible and trying to balance out my workload without burning myself out by sophomore year. Also, I think I'm going to minor in psychology as well .... I also set up an appointment with my guidance counselor to get more advice as well!

Thanks for all the advice! To lala785, I looked at the requirements for the exercise sport science major, and you're right.. I didn't really realize only about two classes overlap with the pre reqs for PA school... I'm considering then majoring in Biology but in BA instead of BS? I looked at the BS, and it requires a lot more chemistry.. so majoring in BA might be the best thing for me... It's also a really flexible major in which I can choose from a really long list of allied sciences courses (which include organic chemistry and such), so I think I'm killing two birds with one stone with this? I'm just trying to have as less stress as possible and trying to balance out my workload without burning myself out by sophomore year. Also, I think I'm going to minor in psychology as well .... I also set up an appointment with my guidance counselor to get more advice as well!

Dont worry so much about your minors. By taking PA prereqs you will be able to potentially have lots of minors. I started as an exercise science major as a freshman, thinking I wanted to to PT. I switched to Bio, and decided to minor in ES (since I started part of the classes), I also got a psyc minor (needed 3 for PA, so took 2 extra), and I was one class away from a chem minor (Hate chem so I didn't finish it, and I didnt need OchemII or biochem for any of my schools). At the end of the day, your major and minors don't matter. You should choose what classes you love being in and pick that as your major.

When I was a HS senior, visiting at the University of Cincinnati (OH), my tourguide was pre-med junior majoring in English. Obviously, she took a LOT of time with classes outside of her major, but she explained she loved english and writing, and after undergrad she would have almost no time to pursue that interest!

Plus admissions committees want to know that you made decisions based on what you liked and thought was best for you, not because of their requirements to be a "perfect" match.

Dont worry so much about your minors. By taking PA prereqs you will be able to potentially have lots of minors. I started as an exercise science major as a freshman, thinking I wanted to to PT. I switched to Bio, and decided to minor in ES (since I started part of the classes), I also got a psyc minor (needed 3 for PA, so took 2 extra), and I was one class away from a chem minor (Hate chem so I didn't finish it, and I didnt need OchemII or biochem for any of my schools). At the end of the day, your major and minors don't matter. You should choose what classes you love being in and pick that as your major.

When I was a HS senior, visiting at the University of Cincinnati (OH), my tourguide was pre-med junior majoring in English. Obviously, she took a LOT of time with classes outside of her major, but she explained she loved english and writing, and after undergrad she would have almost no time to pursue that interest!

Plus admissions committees want to know that you made decisions based on what you liked and thought was best for you, not because of their requirements to be a "perfect" match.

ilygurlie,

Also majored in exercise science and minor in business. There are classes needed for the exercise science major that look good when you are applying though they are not outlined in the pre-reqs for PA schools. This includes kines, exercise physiology, nutrition, and we also had to take a course in populations at risk. We were also required to have a 400-500 hour internship and I made sure to do mine at a hospital's heart and vascular center so I could knock out some of my HCE too (internship HCE does not count for all PA schools though) All of these courses are also important in preventative medicine that you can mention this when you start writing your personal narrative or for interviews with PA schools.

Definitely major in something that interests you! Just be prepared to do an extra couple semesters to fulfill the PA school prerequisites that are not part of the exercise science major. Good luck =)

ilygurlie,

Also majored in exercise science and minor in business. There are classes needed for the exercise science major that look good when you are applying though they are not outlined in the pre-reqs for PA schools. This includes kines, exercise physiology, nutrition, and we also had to take a course in populations at risk. We were also required to have a 400-500 hour internship and I made sure to do mine at a hospital's heart and vascular center so I could knock out some of my HCE too (internship HCE does not count for all PA schools though) All of these courses are also important in preventative medicine that you can mention this when you start writing your personal narrative or for interviews with PA schools.

Definitely major in something that interests you! Just be prepared to do an extra couple semesters to fulfill the PA school prerequisites that are not part of the exercise science major. Good luck =)

Archived