NEW GRAD Ortho/Spine Outpt + Potential to 1st assist OR. Think its a good one!

Long Island NY -  office is 10 minutes from home

$125,000 FT 40hr 9-5 mon-fri

negotiated from 16 --> 20 PTO includes sick days and CME days

$1,500 CME, all licensing/DEA, full occurrence tail end Malpractice Covered, medical.   NO dental or 401k (although not an issue bc im in debt and would be paying that off first two years)

Job description: 60 pts/day split between Two MDs and I. I see patients in office, will be trained in joint injections/aspirations, trigger point injections. Will work with Ortho doc and PMR doc. He encourages me to consider first assisting him and getting me credentialed in a few months at a well respected nearby hospital. never will be solo. he described this as a sophisticated opportunity where I'l hone orthopedic skills. Everyone including office staff and technicians have been there for more than 10 years. Last PA was there for 4 years but left due to wanting more OR opportunities 

Uhhh as a new grad this is a SOLID offer. Didn’t see anything mentioned about benefits but if you’re cool with the package offered then go with it!

Also- consider negotiating at 6-12mo in for productivity incentive if the office is busy enough and you feel you’re doing enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, NYCPAC said:

Uhhh as a new grad this is a SOLID offer. Didn’t see anything mentioned about benefits but if you’re cool with the package offered then go with it!

Also- consider negotiating at 6-12mo in for productivity incentive if the office is busy enough and you feel you’re doing enough

whoops.. Yes. Medical insurance but no dental or 401k.. since I have a lot of debt I wouldst be contributing more than my IRA max anyways for the first year or two anyways though..

thanks

5 hours ago, NYCPAC said:

Also- just an FYI 30pts out of the gate for someone with minimal to no experience is a red flag. Be sure he/she wants to train you appropriately and work your way up to 30/day.

He said I would be trained.. I dont think anyone in their right mind would throw me into 30 patients solo in a highly specialized surgical field.. but these days I dont know what to expect

On 3/16/2018 at 11:48 PM, LonguylandPA said:

He said I would be trained.. I dont think anyone in their right mind would throw me into 30 patients solo in a highly specialized surgical field.. but these days I dont know what to expect

I would be careful with those words, they just want you to make money...look at your UC offer...Just cause the money is good, doesn't mean you should not be careful and just accept that offer without getting clarification on the training period. 

On 3/16/2018 at 3:54 PM, NYCPAC said:

Also- just an FYI 30pts out of the gate for someone with minimal to no experience is a red flag. Be sure he/she wants to train you appropriately and work your way up to 30/day.

The post said 60 between two MDs and PA. OP, will you be splitting it equally to 20 each or disproportionately? Ortho/spine really narrows your experience and honing of skills as a new grad. Be careful with this, unless this is for sure something you want to stay in. 

The post said 60 between two MDs and PA. OP, will you be splitting it equally to 20 each or disproportionately? Ortho/spine really narrows your experience and honing of skills as a new grad. Be careful with this, unless this is for sure something you want to stay in. 

Because he updated his post....

On 3/19/2018 at 11:12 AM, camoman1234 said:

I would be careful with those words, they just want you to make money...look at your UC offer...Just cause the money is good, doesn't mean you should not be careful and just accept that offer without getting clarification on the training period. 

Funny because I chose this offer over the UC offer because this one seemed more responsible/steppingstone ish. I told him I didn't get properly trained at my last job (a shady UC), and he agreed that was not good. he wants me to go into the OR with him and knows I didnt do an ortho rotation so im assuming he's going to be teaching me..?

Good deal

about the “no 401k is no big deal because I’m paying debt”: no. Pay your future self. At a bare minimum max out your IRA options AND pay your debts down and live frugally. That two years you skip will likely be two of the most valuable years of saving for your retirement. They will be compounded more than any other years of your career. You are making good money, max your available retirement options. Your future self will thank you. 

8 hours ago, anewconvert said:

Good deal

about the “no 401k is no big deal because I’m paying debt”: no. Pay your future self. At a bare minimum max out your IRA options AND pay your debts down and live frugally. That two years you skip will likely be two of the most valuable years of saving for your retirement. They will be compounded more than any other years of your career. You are making good money, max your available retirement options. Your future self will thank you. 

Right. I realized this after I did some research..

I plan to max out my Roth IRA.. and set up my own 401k. any thing else you would recommend I look into?

Archived