I like literally nothing about what you said in the offer. I’m not sure what average charges are since I did FM in the military, but I’m pretty sure you’re never going to hit those numbers.

too much work (hours and call) for too little money with for too long without salary increase. Too little salary to not pay 100% of insurance. You didn’t mention malpractice. I would never accept a noncompete without a huge sign on bonus or relocation bonus. I guess the vacation is okay.

not knowing the city you’re talking about it’s hard to say if it’s competitive. Even if it was, I would say move.

I’m almost positive I know what company your talking about.  If this is in or around Atlanta then it’s the same one.  They made me the same offer and as well as several classmates when we graduated.  I know people that have worked there as well.  They all ended up hating it and leaving.  They all said the bonus is almost unattainable if you practice legally and ethically.  It encourages you to charge the patient more, order every test imaginable, and try your hardest to made every visit a level 4 or 5.  It may not be bad for a year or so but it’s not a good long term fit.  They are ALWAYS hiring due to the employee turnover.  Good luck with whatever you decide!  

2 hours ago, BobSaget said:

Please dissect my offer:

Salary: $83,000

Bonus Structure: 10% of Charges I produce over $70,000 per month. $500 extra over $90k and $1000 over $100k.

Schedule: 7:30am - 5pm M - F.
New Grads have to be on call for 7 days and work one Sat (8am - 12pm) each month for the first year. Call is then split equally among all providers.

3 year contract with no salary increase

Malpractice completely covered by practice (edited)

6 paid holidays

3 weeks (15 day) vacation

Health, Dental, & Life insurance. 75% covered by practice, 25% covered by employee

5 days and $1500 for CME

Reimbursement of licensing fees or dues for $1000

Noncompete Clause: 1 year and 10 mile radius from the office I work at.

I want to work in primary care and live in the metro area of a southeastern city. Pro would be that this is within 6 miles of my home.

Also, how much do new grads typically charge/produce in their first 3 years on monthly basis?

So many red flags...I would NOT take this job for the numerous reasons I will quickly tell you. Too many hours for low base salary, the charges (which is stupid cause this is not what they get paid) is so high you will NEVER be able to hit that number without practicing medicine unethically (I work FM and bill out ~50k/month with seeing 22+ patients a day), call is CRAZY (and for a new grad...scary), weekend work (which is more hours, have you calculated what you will be making per hour, NOT including the call?), 3 year contract NO WAY (what is the penalty for leaving early?), is malpractice occurrence or claims made? (if claims then is tail covered?), health insurance should be covered 100%, and the noncompete is crazy for anyone! RUN RUN RUN!!! Do not look back, I promise you will regret this. Good luck!

17 minutes ago, beattie228 said:

Horrendous offer. Call with no pay. Base hourly rate of $33.60 when taking into account your 9.5 hour day. 3 year contract with no salary increase in 3 years. Non-compete clause, in Primary Care no less. I could keep going...

Keep looking.

Totally agree. The benefits actually are "within normal limits" on paper, but when you take into account the overtime, the unpaid call, the 3 YEAR CONTRACT (huge red flag there), the non-compete clause...all of that indicates a practice with a hard time keeping providers. 

Plus those bonus numbers...I doubt you will meet them. It's FM not derm.

Dont do it.

49 minutes ago, beattie228 said:

Horrendous offer. Call with no pay. Base hourly rate of $33.60 when taking into account your 9.5 hour day. 3 year contract with no salary increase in 3 years. Non-compete clause, in Primary Care no less. I could keep going...

Keep looking.

Plus the call, plus the 1 Saturday a month (1/2 day) which add 4 hrs per month x 12 month = 48 hrs on top of that 9.5 hr day...Horrible Horrible Horrible offer! Make sure you tell them why you are running away. 

24 minutes ago, camoman1234 said:

Plus the call, plus the 1 Saturday a month (1/2 day) which add 4 hrs per month x 12 month = 48 hrs on top of that 9.5 hr day...Horrible Horrible Horrible offer! Make sure you tell them why you are running away. 

I missed the 1/2 day Saturday per month in the OP. New math for your hourly pay: 9.5 hrs / day * 5 days + 1 hr = 48.5 hrs/wk (averaging your one Saturday shift a month). $83k/52/48.5 = $32.90. Unless your professional goal is to make as little money as possible working the most amount of hours, keep plugging away at job searches.

Archived