Questions and concerns! Need Advice/Answers

Hello I have a few concerns that I would like to address and hopefully find some answers to. I am currently a student at the University of Michigan and will graduate with a degree in psychology in April. While attending the University of Michigan I played basketball all four years. I was an Academic All-Big Ten selection every year and also was an All American for the past 3 years (http://mgoblue.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=14044). I have decided upon graduating that I want to go back to school to take the prerequisites for p.a school as well as complete the HCE hours. During my time at Michigan I did not take many of the science prerequisites because basketball took up a large amount of time and I did not want it to hurt my GPA. I know it will take me about 2 years to complete all of this, but I was wondering if it would look bad if I took these classes at a local community college( I do not want to pay 60,000 to attend another year at Michigan since my scholarship is up)? Also, I was wondering if athletics will have any positive effect when I do submit my application for p.a. school? Additionally, I would have great LOR. Thank you so much for your time and help

No there is nothing wrong with doing you prereqs at a community college, this is fairly normal. Of course if they are from a 4 year institution like Michigan they might look slightly more favorable but not much. I do think being an NCAA athelete helps as it shows dedication and extremely good time management skills. The only thing to be wary about with CC classes is most will only go up to 200 level classes, some school require upper division science coursework. Which typically is 300 or 400 level classes.

Congratulations! I went to the U of M for engineering grad school decades ago; great school!

I took all of my prereqs at community college (except organic, which they didn’t have at the time) and it was fine for all the schools I considered (I’ve been a PA for 12 years now.) I am on a PA faculty now and have seen athletes treated well in the admission process (all other things being equal.) Best LOA I ever saw was from an applicant’s coach.

So get your HCE and take your prereqs where you can afford it and where it won’t interfere with your HCE time. And good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hello I have a few concerns that I would like to address and hopefully find some answers to. I am currently a student at the University of Michigan and will graduate with a degree in psychology in April. While attending the University of Michigan I played basketball all four years. I was an Academic All-Big Ten selection every year and also was an All American for the past 3 years (http://mgoblue.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=14044). I have decided upon graduating that I want to go back to school to take the prerequisites for p.a school as well as complete the HCE hours. During my time at Michigan I did not take many of the science prerequisites because basketball took up a large amount of time and I did not want it to hurt my GPA. I know it will take me about 2 years to complete all of this, but I was wondering if it would look bad if I took these classes at a local community college( I do not want to pay 60,000 to attend another year at Michigan since my scholarship is up)? Also, I was wondering if athletics will have any positive effect when I do submit my application for p.a. school? Additionally, I would have great LOR. Thank you so much for your time and help
I was a returning student...aka nontraditional student or you know "old". I had to retake many sciences to fulfill the 5 year rule. I took everything at the community colleges. I was also still working full time and the JCs had night classes which allowed me to do both. I was accepted year one so I believe as long as you check the prereqs boxes that's all that matters. They look heavily on your shadowing and volunteering from my experience. One last note, take only as much as you can get As in. Science GPA is calculated separate of commulative.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Archived