new mom in PA school

I am very torn on whether to begin my PA program. 

I was accepted in the 2016-2017 application cycle, but became pregnant and deferred a year (baby would have been born in the middle of semester 2). I am now slated to begin soon, when baby will be a little under a year old. 

I've always wanted to be a PA, and have worked hard and against a lot of odds for my acceptance. I knew I wanted children, and never thought I would be anything but a working mom. However, actually being a mother has completely thrown me for a loop, and I am feeling so drawn to stay home with baby until they are older, as well as have kids closer in age (we are planning to wait to have more if I begin the program, until at least I've worked a year). I'm terrified of daycare. I'm terrified I can't balance school/study/baby/marriage. I'm terrified school will be too hard. Most of all, I'm terrified that I'll make the wrong decision.

Am I chasing a dream that is no longer mine? If I start, will I hate it and be miserable, wanting to be home? If I don't, will I regret it (if not soon after, maybe in 10 years)? 

I am certain I will be drawn to working at least part-time soonish. I don't think being a PA is the only thing in life that would fulfill me, but I would hate to miss this opportunity, because I know it is an awesome one. I also agree with the thought that school would likely be easier now with baby being young, as opposed to older and/or with more kids.

I also am aware this is a personal decision, but introspection, prayer, chatting with friends and family has just left me more confused. Just wondering if anyone has had similar feelings..

Other considerations: family is far away (but emotionally supportive), husband is fully supportive with either decision (also travels often for work)

• Upvote 1

We have a woman in our PA class in a similar situation. Deferred due to pregnancy, then had a 1 year old upon starting. I know the parents in general have it harder- they have student and mom as a job instead of just student. She is getting through it, but i definitely dont think it has been easy. However, you have to think about if you will end up wanting to pursue PA school later. If so, your pre-reqs may expire and make re-applying that much more difficult. I think it also depends on you husband's job and if he supports this.

• Upvote 1

It can be done - going to school while having small children. It takes a good support structure so you can study, go to class, come home late from a surgical rotation, etc.

I think the bigger question is what do you want to do? Your children will only be young once and maybe you don’t want to miss any time with them. If so, you can defer going to school until later. I went back when our youngest got out of college and we had our first grandchild during my second didactic quarter. That’s extreme, but it worked for us.

There are lots of possible scenarios: pick the one that best satisfies what YOU want out of life.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2018 at 1:19 PM, acceptedtopaschool123 said:

I was accepted in the 2016-2017 application cycle, but became pregnant and deferred a year (baby would have been born in the middle of semester 2). I am now slated to begin soon, when baby will be a little under a year old. 

I've always wanted to be a PA, and have worked hard and against a lot of odds for my acceptance. I knew I wanted children, and never thought I would be anything but a working mom. However, actually being a mother has completely thrown me for a loop, and I am feeling so drawn to stay home with baby until they are older, as well as have kids closer in age (we are planning to wait to have more if I begin the program, until at least I've worked a year). I'm terrified of daycare. I'm terrified I can't balance school/study/baby/marriage. I'm terrified school will be too hard. Most of all, I'm terrified that I'll make the wrong decision.

Am I chasing a dream that is no longer mine? If I start, will I hate it and be miserable, wanting to be home? If I don't, will I regret it (if not soon after, maybe in 10 years)? 

I am certain I will be drawn to working at least part-time soonish. I don't think being a PA is the only thing in life that would fulfill me, but I would hate to miss this opportunity, because I know it is an awesome one. I also agree with the thought that school would likely be easier now with baby being young, as opposed to older and/or with more kids.

I also am aware this is a personal decision, but introspection, prayer, chatting with friends and family has just left me more confused. Just wondering if anyone has had similar feelings..

Other considerations: family is far away (but emotionally supportive), husband is fully supportive with either decision (also travels often for work)

Hey, I am a PA Student (almost made it through my first year!) and a mother of two.  My perspective on this is some of it is going to depend upon your program choice.  Both in terms of schedule and flexibility.  I am in a great program, but I have to say, it is terribly inflexible.  If I had it to do over again, I think I would choose differently.  Not because of curriculum or anything like that, but just the sheer difficulty of getting the program to be in the least sympathetic to my situation and trying to help me even a little.  And for the record, I have never missed an exam (weekly exams most of the first year), attended all labs except for one when I was sick, numerous mandatory sessions and gone in at night and on weekends when the program required it.  So, what I would encourage you to do is go and talk to the program where you are thinking of going and talk about your concerns.  You are not asking to be treated like an MVP, just asking not to be put through the ringer on the rare occasions when it comes to having to miss something because you have a sick child and no one else to watch your baby.  True story:  I caught conjunctivitis from one of my kids and had a big, red inflamed eye.  I went to class that day because I did not to miss lecture and sat far away from everyone.  We had a lab later that afternoon.  In our labs, we typically play clinician and patient, so I just could not see participating in the lab and giving everyone my disease - it certainly wasn't going to make me popular with my lab mates.  I explained this situation to the course director.  She demanded that I go to the doctor to get a confirmation of my viral conjunctivitis and a note and turn that in to miss the lab.  She could have easily stopped by the lecture hall to chat with me and seen I clearly had conjunctivitis.  It would have saved me $30 and an unnecessary trip to the doctor (it was viral, no way to help me).  That's what you could be dealing with.  Word to the wise.  Let your concerns be heard now and then if they try to play games later, you will have something to counter them with.  

I'm also a mom, currently in my didactic year, starting the rotations in June. I have 3 kids: 5 year old and 3 year old twins. It definitely can be done, but the question is whether you want to be a PA so bad that you are willing to sacrifice a lot.

I've never missed any class or exam even when all my kids were sick. I had to sit through classes, study for exams and turn in assignments like everyone else so be prepared for that. No matter what is happening at home or with kids, you will have to keep going and the only way to do it is by knowing that this is your dream job. 

When I started, my oldest one wasn't in school yet and I need to say that it was easier when we didn't have to figure it out with my husband every day who is dropping her off or picking her up from school. I do have someone staying with me constantly to babysit and help with house chores though. 

It is all about you and how much you really want to sacrifice for this.

I’m following as I’m struggling with this too! I’m supposed to start in July. I would be starting a 3 year program. I’m not sure if this will make things better or worse? Obviously 3 years is longer, but perhaps the didactic time is slightly less intense because it’s more spread out?! Wishful thinking?! My kids will be 5 and 8, so they will be in school 8:30-3. But I’ve always been the one to take them and pick them up, and I realize this would have to change. I’m scared about missing it all! And of course scared/guilty about how it will impact them. Thanks for listening. Good luck to everyone on making this decision. 

• 3 months later...

It is possible. There are seven parents in my class. 2 are single moms (including myself), one a military wife, another married with two kids but her husband is a surgical resident in another state while she and the kids live with in-laws. The list goes on. There was recently an article posted about a woman who was pregnant twice while in PA school (she was already a mother of two toddlers before beginning). Here’s the link, hopefully you can draw some inspiration from it 

https://thepacafe.com/2018/04/07/my-pa-journey-yocheved-becker/

Edited by ThePAcafe

• 4 weeks later...

I started PA school June 4th. My wife and I had a baby on May 20th. I have a 4 year old daughter as well. I'm from Michigan and the PA school I am attending is in Massachusetts, so family are super far away. So far I am doing well, but there is always a time crunch. Even though my family is across the country they have been super supportive and helpful. It can be done, but it sure is a lot of work! PM me if you have any questions.

I'm wrapping up didactic as we speak.  I have 15 year old twins so they are not as young but are getting into the SUPER busy high school years.  It really is a personal decision and one that should be came to with your spouse/children whenever possible.  EVERYONE needs to be on board with the PA school demands or you are asking for troubles and setting yourself up for disappointing results in school AND family life.
You won't regret taking the time off to be with your child.  I understand not wanting to do daycare.  My wife and I were the same so we made it work.  If family is a primary motivator you can find a way.  I waited until later in life (I'm 46) simply because I didn't want to uproot my family.  Don't take any of that as a recommendation.

Being where I am within the PA school experience I can also say that you won't regret your choice to go to school.  It is amazing.  Purposeful.  It makes you a better person and a better parent even if you are not as present as you would otherwise be.  Again, it doesn't HAVE to be binary choice and I personally respect you for the decisions you have already made.  It shows a depth of character to deny oneself for the people you love.  I also respect the decision to LIVE for the ones that you love and to provide a better future for them.

You will do fine.  Turn you your family and your faith and you will find your purpose and path.  Then, don't look back!

Edited by Rondaben
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

My encouragement to you would be please do not be afraid to make a decision. One part of your post that caught my attention is that you have prayed about your situation. Once you have prayed believe that you have received the answer. If you end up making the wrong choice you will always be redirected back to the right path. Similar to GPS, always recalculating when you take a wrong turn. Your destiny is yours and cannot be changed. I believe the right people will be placed in your life to make sure your child is protected and well taken care of while you fulfill your dreams. 

• Like 4

On 2/24/2018 at 3:19 PM, acceptedtopaschool123 said:

I also was accepted into PA school to begin May of this year, but I had just found out I was pregnant a few weeks prior and due to have my baby in November. I accepted their deferral offer and will be starting in May of 2019 when my baby is about 6 months old. I can tell you I cried and I struggled with my decision when I found out I was pregnant. I felt like all my years of hard work towards getting into a PA program would go out the window. Ultimately I decided that nothing is going to stop me from achieving my dreams. I did not want to be that person who gave up on everything because I was not careful and got pregnant. I accepted that I will have to work harder than others with an infant when I start school, but that it is only a temporary sacrifice. Two years fly by, and from what others have said, the second year is a lot less stressful so it’s really just one year of craziness. I’m scared just as much as I am excited to start next year. I’m scared of not having enough time with my baby, of how the stress of school plus the financial burden will affect my relationship. But if there is one thing I am certain about, it is that I am following my dream of becoming a PA and I know for a fact that the day I have that diploma in my hand, it will all be worth it. Don’t give up on yourself. Remember that your sacrifice now is going to benefit your children. And it’s only 2 years, it’s not like medical school where you will be absent from special family events for many years. You can do it :) just keep moving forward no matter how hard it gets. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I hadn't followed up on this post in a few months, and am blown away by the responses given. Such encouragement!! 

I decided to pursue school at this time, and am wrapping up semester 1 in the next few days. I miss my family quite a bit, but I'm really enjoying school and grateful I decided to pursue it. 

Again, I am so thankful for all of the thoughtful responses! I'll have to come back to this page when I'm feeling discouraged and re-read these kind words!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 8/3/2018 at 11:36 AM, JulzPA said:

I also was accepted into PA school to begin May of this year, but I had just found out I was pregnant a few weeks prior and due to have my baby in November. I accepted their deferral offer and will be starting in May of 2019 when my baby is about 6 months old. I can tell you I cried and I struggled with my decision when I found out I was pregnant. I felt like all my years of hard work towards getting into a PA program would go out the window. Ultimately I decided that nothing is going to stop me from achieving my dreams. I did not want to be that person who gave up on everything because I was not careful and got pregnant. I accepted that I will have to work harder than others with an infant when I start school, but that it is only a temporary sacrifice. Two years fly by, and from what others have said, the second year is a lot less stressful so it’s really just one year of craziness. I’m scared just as much as I am excited to start next year. I’m scared of not having enough time with my baby, of how the stress of school plus the financial burden will affect my relationship. But if there is one thing I am certain about, it is that I am following my dream of becoming a PA and I know for a fact that the day I have that diploma in my hand, it will all be worth it. Don’t give up on yourself. Remember that your sacrifice now is going to benefit your children. And it’s only 2 years, it’s not like medical school where you will be absent from special family events for many years. You can do it ? just keep moving forward no matter how hard it gets. 

I'm so glad that you are pursuing school, too. Enjoy the last few months of your pregnancy. You are going to kick butt as a mom and a student!

• 3 years later...

Did you graduate PA school? I came across your post today, and I’m a mother of 3 children who are 12,11,8 years old. I’m going to start my PA school in August which is 1 hour drive away.. I’m so afraid if I could do well in school while taking care of my kids as well. I have no help around. Give me some hope!!