Quitting from a job after LOC?

Guest blee100

Guest blee100

Hi, I'm a pre-pa student but I'm working as a medical assistant part time but honestly it feels like full time.(I'm also a full-time student taking 5 classes this semester) I work at a facility that uses paper trail and EMR. So everything you write on paper you have to also input into the computer. Prior to this job I worked as an ophthalmic technician where we used ipads and computers pretty much and everything went 10 times smoother and faster. So working at this new facility I have to do so much extra work on the paper trail and then transfer everything to the computer so I work much longer hours trying to get a significant amount of charting done. So when I'm finally done and ask my manager if I can leave (This is usually around 6:00 pm) she will ask me to do other Medical assistants charting who work with completely different providers that I've worked with. This event now usually leads to me staying longer(which is usually around 7:30 pm mind you I arrive to work at 7:45 am or 8:00 am). I don't enjoy the set up of this office at all but as everyone knows April around the corner and I need a letter of recommendation from one of the providers that I work with. We get along very well and I'm very confident that she would write a nice letter for me when I need it.  The big question is do you think it would be bad if i got the letter of recommendation and waited a month and quit? I just can't see myself working in this office very long.

BTW I also noticed a lot of the staff (including providers) come and go. 

Guest hcruz496

How long have you already worked there? Getting to know someone well takes time. The better they know you, the better your letter will be. 

Some offices just have high turnover rates. It was that way when I worked in urgent care. That was for staff and providers alike. Find someone and get to know them well. They probably won’t be upset with you for leaving after getting your letter if the turnover is truly that high, they may feel the same way about the place. Just be sure to give ample time to have proven your character to be worthy of a good letter of recommendation. 

Guest blee100

So I've been working there since December 1st which I know is a short period of time but I've caught on very quickly. I had someone train me who use to be her MA. So I already have patient UDS prepared and scripts printed and on her desk. I usually stay on top of everything to show I'm dedicated and make sure her patients don't wait long. She actually has complimented my work ethic, personality, and tells me she enjoys having me as her MA on multiple occasions. Even when other MAs help her for the day and they are doing something wrong or being too slow she will ask me to jump in and do the procedures with her instead. She very sweet. I honestly feel like the high turn over may be due to the significant amount of workload and lack of pay. They hire new people and three days later they quit because they've never seen so much paperwork compared to other doctor offices.

Tell them you unfortunately cannot stay after 6:00 pm to complete charts that you are NOT responsible for. Let your manager know that you're also a full-time student and you have to leave the office to get home to focus on school. Do not set the stage for them to ALWAYS ask you to stay after you are suppose to be clocked out because the more you say yes, they will begin to expect it.

I've dealt with this on multiple occasion when I was a MA in UC...the turnover rate is atrocious lmao. We had a MA come for an interview, was offered the job, came for 1 day of training, and then never returned. I lasted 2 years at that facility. I would have continued my employment but left the State for school. The question is, after you quit, then what? Do you have another job lined up? No point in leaving a job without a back-up.

Guest blee100

@Diggy I agree I need to sit down with my manager. I really shouldn't have to do other people work. Also Diggy in my town I can find an MA job pretty quickly. My town has a lot of elderly people so the healthcare industry is booming. If I cant find a job right away it would be fine tbh cause I'm lucky enough to live with my parents but It shouldn't be a problem. I usually apply for a job and a week later get an interview.

Archived