Shadowing during interview- help

Hello,

I am travelling out of state next week for a job interview. It does seem that since I am out of state they are trying to fit what would probably be multiple interview sessions into one day. The last part of the day I will spend several hours shadowing. I am wondering what is expected during this portion. I'm a new grad, with 6mos experience in my field. The interview is for the same position just in a different hospital/state. So my question is should I use this opportunity to wow them and show them what I know? Or should I just show up, be interested, but not give my opinion on anything?

Also, this is more of a question of attire, should I wear my interview suit during the shadowing? Take off the jacket and seem more relaxed or is it likely they will give me scrubs? It is in ICU.

Or am I just over thinking this all? I'm excited and really don't want to blow it.

Thanks in advance.

I would suggest just staying in your suit unless they offer your scrubs.  I went on an interview once for CT surgery and was shown to the locker room to change and step into the OR for a moment.  

I would ask basic questions and be interested.  Questions about the key players on the team, work flow, procedures, etc.  I would refrain from giving medical opinions unless you are specifically asked.  You kind of need to feel out your audience to determine if is appropriate or not.  If you’re with a laid back doc/PA you could say “I had a patient like this once and I did ABC” or you could have a doc who is the only one that is right and your opinion should be kept to yourself.  

Wear your suit. If it's inappropriate attire they will outfit you correctly.

The shadowing is part of the interview. It's to let you get a real sense of how the day progresses for someone in the position you want. It's often more casual than the table interview or your meetings with HR. But make no mistake, you should still be "on" during this part of the day. They will likely offer you information on patients you see; it's usually NOT to elicit your opinion, but rather to give you an idea of their patient population and a sampling of chief complaints.

You should ask practical questions that show you're thinking seriously about what it would be like to do this job. Like DizzyJ said, ask about work flow, how the day is structured, what resources are available in certain situations, how the PA you're shadowing likes this part of the job, etc. Please don't try to "wow" anyone on the shadowing portion unless your opinion is specifically requested. If that happens, for goodness sake be HUMBLE. We have interviewed a ton of people where I work and I have yet to see someone successfully "wow" me with their medical knowledge and insight. Usually it comes across as arrogant, tone-deaf, or inconsiderate.

Archived