Affordanle Physician Assistant Programs

I have been doing research these last few days. I found an online

college (JSU) where I can get a bachelors degree in nursing or healthcare

at tuition prices I can pay out without a problem. Without involving loans.

However, since I will pay out of pocket for my college, I will struggle with

the Physician Assistant program tuition and fees. What I essentially want

to do right now is find an affordable PA program to get a loan for, but not

large enough to cause me economical problems in the long run.

I found a few, but most are 30k to 40k a year, are they all that costly?

I was looking for something more in the 15k to 20k per year range.

We are speaking full time here. If cheaper even better. If they happened

to accept Bachelors from online college great!

I would dearly appreciate any knowledge that can be shared.

If you are a NC resident, ECU (East Carolina University) is ~ $18,000 plus books and equipment- TOTAL. They also accept students from neighboring states, but I am not entirely sure if the tuition is the same for them or not.

ECU only accepts 35 students and only accepts students from NC, SC, VA, TN, GA....and if Im not mistaken, non-NC residents, the cost is 5x as much.......

What I essentially want

to do right now is find an affordable PA program to get a loan for, but not

large enough to cause me economical problems in the long run.

There has been some good advice so far but keep in mind that you should have no problems repaying loans even if you attend an expensive school. If you can live on 35k a year after graduation, you can dump 25k+(maybe more depending on how much goes to taxes) into repaying your loans. That's just a single year. All it takes is being frugal for a little while.

Loan repayment programs are great options as well.

Yes, me and my family could live on a good 35k to 38k a year.

Man, I am starting to feel real positive about all of this.

Oh and I'd definitely would love to handle my business before

looking into any other personal expenses that I do not need.

I'll be as frugal as I need to be! :;-D:

If you can live on 35k a year after graduation, you can dump 25k+(maybe more depending on how much goes to taxes) into repaying your loans. That's just a single year. All it takes is being frugal for a little while.

Good advice, there are many students out there (myself included) with a lot of debt! Over 100k. I plan on living the Ramen Noodle lifestyle for a few years after graduating in June. How far are you willing to travel, I might be a little biased, but Stony Brook IMO, best bang for your buck, I moved from Fl to attend. 32k for the entire program with a great reputation, NY can get a little pricey though. Good luck.

Also, just to throw this out there, is this degree from WGU completely online? Likely to be a negative to many AdCom's at PA schools.

Yes, Lov the WGU degree I was interested in is completely online.

I heard some places do take completely online degrees but I am

completely clueless which ones.

Lol yes sir, I am willing to move anywhere to get into a PA school.

Also, I was considering getting my bachelors in nursing. What do

you guys think? Would PA schools look down on that?

Yes, Lov the WGU degree I was interested in is completely online.

I heard some places do take completely online degrees but I am

completely clueless which ones.

Lol yes sir, I am willing to move anywhere to get into a PA school.

Also, I was considering getting my bachelors in nursing. What do

you guys think? Would PA schools look down on that?

From my limited understanding, there isn't much concern over what your bachelors is in as long as you make their pre reqs and good grades. The benefit from getting your BSN will be that you can work a couple of years as an RN, get some great experience, helping you become even more competitive for application AND bank up some cash in the ol' bank account to ease the financial burden of PA school.

We have three RN's in my class of 25 students. Schools love health care experience. Being a RN is one of the better ways to obtain it.

RCC program (at Moreno Valley, California) is essentially tuition-free if you are a California resident and show need on your Fafsa (because you then get a BOGG waiver that pays the fees). You still have to cover your books and supplies, but its the cheapest program I know of. Even if you have to pay fees, it's less than $10000 for the whole program. UNLESS you are not a California resident.... so you might want to move here first and establish residency. http://www.rccd.edu/academicprograms/pa/Pages/EstimatedCost.aspx

Great! It is good to know nurses in PA programs are not

so much of a taboo.

I might decide to do Sociology, being it is the easier academic path.

I am afraid it will not be competitive. I will probably do my science

at a local college here though. At least some of the science classes.

I have family in California so It might not be too much of a bad idea. :;;D:

Nurses not a taboo in PA school at all, as others have pointed out, it's a great way to get your HCE hours and make some money, similar to RT school (looking back, what I should have done - RT first). I highly recommend the Rodican book "Getting into the PA school of your choice", that along with these forums halfway got me into PA school. I think theirs a new edition now, 3rd or 4th, just Amazon it.

Rodican book, I will google that this very moment!

I read the book prior to applying and didn't find it very useful, though others may disagree. There really aren't any "tricks" when it comes to getting into PA school, have a high GPA, have good prior healthcare experience, don't bomb the GRE, write a well articulated personal statement, and research the schools you are considering prior to applying. With how competitive schools are today, missing any of these can hinder your chances. There, I just saved you $40, you can thank me later ;)

Yup, I agree with the "be frugal after graduation" crowd. My fiance and I are planning on living on one salary for the first few years after I graduate so I can pay down my loans. I would recommend not worrying less about how much you are spending, and focus more on a quality program in a location you want with high PANCE pass rates.

Archived