What schools I should not even try with low (3.0-3.1) GPA?

Guest anbeg

Guest anbeg

Here is the list of my schools:

University of Medicine & Dentistry of New Jersey NJ10/01/2010 No No delete_bt.gifNew York Institute of Technology NY12/01/2010 No No delete_bt.gifPace University - Lenox Hill Hospital NY10/01/2010 No No delete_bt.gifMercy College Graduate Program NY12/01/2010 No Yes arrow.gif delete_bt.gifTouro College School of Health Science - Winthrop Extension Center (BS/MS Program ONLY) NY11/01/2010 No No delete_bt.gifSalus University PA01/15/2011 No No delete_bt.gifPhiladelphia University PA10/01/2010 No No delete_bt.gifDrexel University Hahnemann PA10/01/2010 No Yes arrow.gif delete_bt.gifDeSales University PA01/15/2011 No Yes arrow.gif delete_bt.gifArcadia University -Glenside PA, Two-Year Program PA01/15/2011 No No delete_bt.gifPhiladelphia College of Osteophatic Medicine PA12/01/2010 No Yes

Anna,

I think the question is not what schools you shouldn't try with your grades; it's what schools you shouldn't try because of your lack of experience. You have only shadowing a doctor for experience and little else. The genetics lab does not count at all. Go through each school's website and see what the minimum requirements are and call their offices if you are unsure if you fit their program to make sure you have not wasted your money applying.

A cursory look at a few schools' sites by me shows Touro requires 200 hours of paid or volunteer hands on experience and 20 hours of shadowing a physician assistant (not an MD). This is what you need to know before you begin to apply....

Guest anbeg

Brad, With all the respect to you just cannot mislead people like that!

First of all here is the tuoro direct contact requirement "

· Documentation of a minimum of 100 hours of direct patient contact healthcare experience, either volunteer or paid, to include a minimum of 20 hours “shadowing” a Physician Assistant. " Which fits my experience perfect. I also contacted yesterday 5 of my schools and was told that I have high chances to be admitted. Hope you give much more motivation and hope to your patients!!!

Guest anbeg

UMDNJ, PACE, MERCY, DREXEL, PCOM. I also was told not to pay much attention to what people say on this forum. I don't want to tell names, but one of the directors told me that they aware of this forum and there is a lot of incorrect information here and of misleading people.

In another case I was told that the program is not designed to take nurses and convert them into PA (after getting a suggestion to go for nursing and work as a nurse for a while). Its designed to bring more PAS into the medical system.

So, I really don’t know if I am able to get in or not, I will try and so should all the others try without listening to all those smart people here.

anberg,

In regards to your comment about HCE/shadowing/ and your genetics lab and the relation you made to TOURO and the requirement of 100 hours experience. The school puts a minimum number up and minimun usually does not cut it. Yes, you are right about the nurses and nurses trying to become PA's but there other ways to get experience for example my experience with CNA work, CMA work, volunteering with medical mission trips to Guatemala and volunteering with kids with celiac disease. In June, I applied to 9 schools and so far I have been notified of 3 interviews. Have yet to be declined by any school. Good luck to you in your future endeavours. I'm not trying to critique what your doing or what you have planned but you could take some encouragement and ideas with more of an open mind. Again, best of luck.

For example: Last year I applied to a school with only 100 hours of HCE required. I had about 500 hours at the time of application and maybe 1000 by interview time. I was waitlisted, eventually not accepted. When I called to get feedback, they said that the only area my application was lacking was HCE. Their average accepted HCE hours are around 4000. So what a school may list as required hours and actually accepted hours can be completely different.

`

Brad, With all the respect to you just cannot mislead people like that!

First of all here is the tuoro direct contact requirement "

· Documentation of a minimum of 100 hours of direct patient contact healthcare experience, either volunteer or paid, to include a minimum of 20 hours “shadowing” a Physician Assistant. " Which fits my experience perfect. I also contacted yesterday 5 of my schools and was told that I have high chances to be admitted. Hope you give much more motivation and hope to your patients!!!

I am not misleading anyone. Good luck in your application, but your anger towards me trying to help you is certainly in bad taste, and if you think I am going to review your personal statement after this display of unprofessional behavior, you are seriously disillusioned.

You are a much better fit for DO school than PA school with your lack of experience in health care but stellar research background.

Guest anbeg

Brad...I sent you the PS a day before your msg here and I am not expecting you to go over it at all.

Thanks if you were trying to help. I just realized that I need to take advice from positive people that will make my motivation go up and not opposite.

Good luck to you.

Anything that you read on any forum should be taken with a grain of salt... use what you can and ignore the rest... It is hilarious that you came to this forum looking for advice and snip at people when they offer opinions... My opinion is that I find it hard to believe that you contacted 5 programs in one day and that they all said you have a high chance of getting in ... especially with your really low GPA's and HCE. I'd love to have bradtPA as my PA because he is a realist... Reality is a hard pill to swallow... Good luck!

Guest anbeg

I really did call those schools..I called 9 and got an answer from 5! Anyway, good luck to everybody here and I will continue with my positive approach...it is easier to swallow and it brought me where I am.

I think the OP might be a troll... but just in case my advice is:

Get some HCE. Take some grad level science classes at the same time. Apply 22 months from now. Also, the painfully positive while slightly arrogant attitude might not help once you actually go out into the medical world. Very few of us play well with others.

Also, the painfully positive while slightly arrogant attitude might not help once you actually go out into the medical world. Very few of us play well with others.

Oh the bright shiny noobs... with rosy positive attitudes and little experience. How quickly medicine sandblasts the shiny off and rosy attitudes become the most jaded and bitter... Maybe it's just EMS, but it seems to translate well to other branches of medicine.

Guest anbeg
I think the OP might be a troll... but just in case my advice is:

Get some HCE. Take some grad level science classes at the same time. Apply 22 months from now. Also, the painfully positive while slightly arrogant attitude might not help once you actually go out into the medical world. Very few of us play well with others.

There is no way I can go and work for about two years in a hospital just to get some HCE. I already have a Researcher position and my alternative way is to go for my M.S and MBA degrees. I cannot spend another 5 years just for PA school like some people do here. I guess I will just give it up and continue with some other opportunities. Unfortunately the financial aspect plays a big role in my situation (2 kids) and I can get a nice salary right now which in potential can be higher than average PA’s salary. I really wanted to work with face to face contact but sometimes life decides for us… I’ll wait and see.

Crap... I always thought it was the high GPA I worked my ars off for and the 4 years I spent "gaining HCE (or whatever you guys call it) " as an Army medic (all while raising two kids) that got me into pa school... I didn't realize I could just have a positive attitude, click my heels, and get into a program. That sounds like the way to go... I should have done that.

Guest anbeg
Crap... I always thought it was the high GPA I worked my ars off for and the 4 years I spent "gaining HCE (or whatever you guys call it) " as an Army medic (all while raising two kids) that got me into pa school... I didn't realize I could just have a positive attitude' date=' click my heels, and get into a program. That sounds like the way to go... I should have done that.[/quote']

Thank you! I sepnt few years serving in the navy intelligence...Unfortunately I cannot use this one as HCE…

Guest anbeg
Crap... I always thought it was the high GPA I worked my ars off for and the 4 years I spent "gaining HCE (or whatever you guys call it) " as an Army medic (all while raising two kids) that got me into pa school... I didn't realize I could just have a positive attitude' date=' click my heels, and get into a program. That sounds like the way to go... I should have done that.[/quote']

Thank you! I sepnt few years serving in the navy intelligence...Unfortunately I cannot use this one as HCE…

There is no way I can go and work for about two years in a hospital just to get some HCE.

If you're not willing to commit to getting HCE, then you probably aren't cut out for this path. There are hundreds of people who are willing and able to keep their paying jobs, go to school for the prereqs getting stellar grades, AND go get HCE for little over minimum wage. They do all of this with families, and medical problems, and other disasters, because they WANT to be PA's. Your attitude of "just to get some HCE" is a disaster in the making.

I cannot spend another 5 years just for PA school like some people do here.

Then by all means please go do something else. Sounds like you have other great options that will make you happy.

Archived