What schools I should not even try with low (3.0-3.1) GPA?

Guest anbeg

Thank you! I sepnt few years serving in the navy intelligence...Unfortunately I cannot use this one as HCE…

Um, did Naval intelligence not require you to spell adequately or use proper (or even close to good) grammar?

Or is it simply that we have made you too angry? If that is the case please stop reading this thread for 24 hours. Take some time to think about it, and come back if, and only if, you actually want our advice... which is to go get some HCE... not only to improve your application, but to make you a better PA. Two years isn't enough time to learn what you need to learn without experience in my not really humble opinion. And, honestly, even people who don't really believe in experience are willing to put in a year of their life.

ps. I am still getting troll vibes from you... but just in case, I am being honest with the above advice.

PS. I thought of 3 words that might help you: Caribbean Medical Schools. ValueMD has a great forum. Stick to the Big 4 though if you go that route. It sounds like it might be perfect for you. Unlike PA schools, which have gotten profoundly competitive lately, the Big 4 are OK with applicants with low GPAs if they do well on the MCAT.

i'd rather someone give me some real advice (even if i dont want to hear it) than give me false hope....... smh

glad i listened to the PAs that encouraged me to get HCE. there isnt a single person in my class that didnt have any. if i didnt take the time to get it, i wouldnt be where i am today!

i'd rather give me some real advice (even if i dont want to hear it) than give me false hope....... smh

glad i listened to the PAs that encouraged me to get HCE. there isnt a single person in my class that didnt have any. if i didnt take the time to get it, i wouldnt be where i am today!

And my 3.1 overall GPA and 3.7 science GPA combined with 20 years as a military medic and desert storm vet got me absolutely nowhere at 3 of the 4 schools I applied to, not even an interview. I failed to research those programs in detail or I would have discovered they all wanted a 3.7 or higher overall. I would prefer to save someone from making my error and encourage them to do a good background check than waste time and money.

Guest anbeg

Guys, Thank to all of you who tried to help. I will make my best to get in and if not it will not be the end of the world. I realized that there are some really unpleasant people here, hope it's not the profession that makes them miserable. Regarding HCE I would love to get as much as I can but I just had a second baby 6 weeks ago and I don't have any help at all. I don’t mind working very hard, but right now I don’t have the opportunity to do so.

To those who had some problem with my English, I am here only 5 years. I came with a very little English and during that time I graduated from a 2 year college and a 4 year University double scientific degree. At the same time I also worked as a teacher and as a Researcher. I speak 5 languages and English is one of the weakest for now. I served in the navy for 2 years; have a huge volunteer background including working with drug addicted kids. And much much more I can tell about myself. This gives me hope that they might consider me. And by the way I am only 26 years old.

Is a 3.1 even a bad thing given that OP still has other elements of the admissions process left to control (ex. the attitude and getting more hce or volunteer hours depending on school)? I think I have a 3.2-3.3 but I still remain positive that I'll get in to my select choice of schools given that I rack up my hours. In the meantime, I'm doing awesome-fun work and getting paid :]

Guys, Thank to all of you who tried to help. I will make my best to get in and if not it will not be the end of the world.

I wish you the best of luck. If you decide to disregard advice, that is your business. The "unpleasant" people gave you honest opinions, and likely actually wanted to help.

I realized that there are some really unpleasant people here, hope it's not the profession that makes them miserable.

If you find the people here unpleasant, you may find that medicine is very difficult on a personal level. To practice medicine you have to be prepared for your patients, SP's, and colleagues to be anywhere from the nicest person you have ever met to the vilest human being to ever exist. As a professional you will have to mask your irritation and let go of your ego. Calling people here "unpleasant" is possibly a bad start.

w

Regarding HCE I would love to get as much as I can but I just had a second baby 6 weeks ago and I don't have any help at all. I don't mind working very hard, but right now I don't have the opportunity to do so.

That is admittedly a difficult situation, however it may simply mean that if you REALLY want to be a PA you need to step back, take a little more time, and keep trying instead of trying to jump in all at once. Rushing can ruin things...

And once again good luck!

Is a 3.1 even a bad thing given that OP still has other elements of the admissions process left to control (ex. the attitude and getting more hce or volunteer hours depending on school)?

No... that is why we all told her to get more HCE. She seems to be between a rock and a hard place personally right now... but I still think that maybe waiting a year and then getting two years of HCE is the way to go if she really wants to be a PA. If she just wants to make money, I believe she mentioned an MBA program or some such, which would work well.

LESH, how is the student in their 70s coming along?

*Sigh* Long story, here's the short version. He had to drop for personal reasons. When he is ready we left a light on for him at the program. He has been back doing lectures in psychiatry. He is a clinical Psychologist.

• 2 years later...

Despite what the OP said I think this site ROCKS. I have learned so much from each and everyone of you and I thank you all.

Wise words indeed ... LESH, how is the student in their 70s coming along?
(I hope LESH reads this.) Have you heard anything from the gentleman in his 70's. I am curious considering how late this post is. Did he ever decide to come back to school? I can only assume the 70 Y/O was in PA school, correct? If so, more power to him ...

Archived