UW-Lacrosse vs Augsburg

Hello everyone! 

I am lucky enough to have acceptances to a couple of schools, University of Wisconsin-Lacrosse and Augsburg University in St.Paul, MN. I know that choosing a school is a very personal decision, but I would love to hear any advice on where you would choose to go. I have made pro/con lists for each school, and am having a hard time figuring out which would be a better fit. Honestly, I think it comes down to more personal reasons as both are great programs. Would you all choose a cheaper program over a better support system/where you want to be living physically? Any other insight into these programs in particular?

UW-Lacrosse

Pros: $50K total, 24 months, 25 students, 4 elective rotations, rotations at the Mayo Clinic, 100% PANCE pass rate

Cons: long distance from fiance, not where I want to be living or get a job post-graduation

Augsburg

Pros: better vibe from students/faculty, location, support system (living in same place as fiance), 30 students, 99% PANCE pass rate

Cons: $87K total, 28 months, only 1 elective rotation

Both programs seem like great options. My advice go with the school that allows you to have the support you need to be successful. The pass rates are virtually the same, the Augsburg program lets you have better networking opportunities etc. the money is only 37k that might sound like a lot now but realistically it is a small price in the long run. Especially if it lets you live with your significant other.

I am telling you this out of experience, I was accepted to several programs last year both out of state. I decided not to start the program I chose because I didn’t want to be away from my spouse. This year I was fortunate enough to be accepted to an instate program that just happens to also be cheaper.

Congratulations on your acceptances! What a great problem to have. I am not familiar with Augsburg, but I did my undergrad at UW-L. I absolutely loved the school and I loved the city. There’s a lot to do, and the cost of rent is very low. We spent a lot of time outdoors on the bluffs and by the river, but we would frequently make day trips up to the cities. Downtown is a lot of fun, there are cute shops, and a decent music scene. I am currently in my first year at UW-Madison. Most of my weekdays are filled with school/studying, so I can spend weekends how I want to. Perhaps if you choose LaCrosse, you will be even more motivated to work hard during the week, so the weekends can be with the fiancé. Good luck with your decision!

Archived