First job offer, contract "Fringe Benefits"

I will graduate in a month, take boards early Jan and have my first job offer in the specialty I want - Ortho. 

It's medium sized area in western PA and they've offered 75k as base. The fringe benefits as they call it is the employer paying for Malpractice, FICA Medicare, CME limit, association membership dues, and paying for my license. Does not mention anything about DEA license. 10 days PTO, 5 days CME, 6 days holidays. Also says they pay for health insurance. No mention of vision or dental. Secondly, don't all employers pay FICA Medicare? They added all this together as the "package value" to make the final number look much better, in my opinion. 

2 year contract states employees salary MAY increase to 80k for 2nd year. 25 mile no compete clause. Termination: by mutual consent, unilaterally with 90 days written notice employee must reimburse prepaid expenses to employer (fringe benefits). 

Bad or ok pay? Bad or ok contract? Any thoughts? (obviously this is not a large city area and ortho is NOT a 40hr work week job) How hard is it get that first job in Ortho with no experience!? 

Take my post with a grain of salt as I am also a new grad (august of this year), but speaking from my own and my classmates experiences this seems like a pretty bad offer. 75K is really low- especially considering you say yourself that ortho isn't a 40 hour week job. I would try for at LEAST 85k.  Also you "may" get a 5k increase after your first year? You need in writing what you need to objectively meet in order to get that increase.  I don't know how small of a town you are in but a 25 mile non compete is ridiculous.  How long is the non compete for?  Honestly, it seems that, in my area at least, you can throw a rock and hit 10 ortho jobs that accept new grads- I would probably try to renegotiate but if the offer doesn't significantly improve I would walk away. There will be other jobs and you've still got a bit of time left before your boards.

I, too, have recently received a low offer. Similar to you I was offered 75k, 10 days PTO, holidays, no weekends, no call. Peds private practice. They also don't offer benefits directly but rather offer a stipend monthly to go towards my own insurance.m? Malpractice is paid and it's close to home. I agree that 85k would be where I drew the line. He began to offer productivity bonus after I seemed less than thrilled with the offer. This is my first offer and negotiating is new to me. However I KNOW that we are worth more than 75k, new grad or not. It really sucks when the field you want low balls you. ?. I've had a really hard time finding a peds job in my area and this would be a good opportunity, I just can't get over the low offer! My doc said he started his current NP at 68k 5 years ago when I asked about pay. And she had 7 yrs experience in children's hospital as an RN. That seems like a joke. Doc seems to have no does how much we are worth nowadays. I have a couple more interviews so we will see what happens! Good luck!

horrible offers. Don't take anything less than $100k in ANY specialty your first year out of school. I had recruiters laugh at me since i was a new grad. I even rejected an offer after firing back what i wanted and the employer stating it can't be done, then i get a response of a higher value than i even asked form .I STILL think i should get paid more, but at the end being a PA, you never will get what your worth. Just a fact you have to deal with. 

Be patient.

Enjoy the crappy prospects.

On 11/17/2017 at 3:27 PM, umami13 said:

Take my post with a grain of salt as I am also a new grad (august of this year), but speaking from my own and my classmates experiences this seems like a pretty bad offer. 75K is really low- especially considering you say yourself that ortho isn't a 40 hour week job. I would try for at LEAST 85k.  Also you "may" get a 5k increase after your first year? You need in writing what you need to objectively meet in order to get that increase.  I don't know how small of a town you are in but a 25 mile non compete is ridiculous.  How long is the non compete for?  Honestly, it seems that, in my area at least, you can throw a rock and hit 10 ortho jobs that accept new grads- I would probably try to renegotiate but if the offer doesn't significantly improve I would walk away. There will be other jobs and you've still got a bit of time left before your boards.

Thanks for the input! The noncompete is for 2 years!! 

Archived