What do you think about this offer?

I am a new grad who has been job searching for months. I didn't really hate any of my rotations, so I wasn't fixated on getting a position in any particular specialty. I ended up receiving an offer as a hospitalist PA and am curious to know what you think.

$87k salary plus bonus
7 days on 7 days off schedule
$2500 CME
2 weeks PTO
full benefits (medical dental vision)
license and DEA paid for
able to moonlight on weeks off

Is there anything major missing that I should know before accepting this position? Thanks

• amykpac10 changed the title to What do you think about this offer?
On 11/2/2017 at 8:21 PM, amykpac10 said:

I am a new grad who has been job searching for months. I didn't really hate any of my rotations, so I wasn't fixated on getting a position in any particular specialty. I ended up receiving an offer as a hospitalist PA and am curious to know what you think.

$87k salary plus bonus
7 days on 7 days off schedule
$2500 CME
2 weeks PTO
full benefits (medical dental vision)
license and DEA paid for
able to moonlight on weeks off

Is there anything major missing that I should know before accepting this position? Thanks

How long is a shift? 

If they are 12 hour shifts your rate is just a touch under $40/hr, which is low

If they are 10 hour shifts this is a $47.80/hr shift which is pretty good.  

8 hour shifts.... I can't imagine they are paying you $60/hr straight out of school.

If this is a seven 12 hour shifts then I'd be asking for somewhere in the neighborhood of $95k, minimum.  That's a little over $43/hr...  If you have never worked seven days on for 12 hours a day you are going to be shocked how worn out you are at the end of the week.   That is 84 hours in a week.  You will wake up, go to work, come home and sleep.  Don't live that life for less than $95k a year

22 hours ago, treejay said:

What does the AAPA salary report say for your region for a new/recent grad PA practicing in hospital medicine?

unfortunately I don't have access to the AAPA salary report. I had the student version of AAPA which expired when I graduated. I don't want to be lowballed, but there is really no room for negotiation as this is a big hospital system that has a tiered system for salaries. There is a bonus system guaranteed of $3500/year with a possibility of up to $7000/year

1 hour ago, anewconvert said:

How long is a shift? 

If they are 12 hour shifts your rate is just a touch under $40/hr, which is low

If they are 10 hour shifts this is a $47.80/hr shift which is pretty good.  

8 hour shifts.... I can't imagine they are paying you $60/hr straight out of school.

If this is a seven 12 hour shifts then I'd be asking for somewhere in the neighborhood of $95k, minimum.  That's a little over $43/hr...  If you have never worked seven days on for 12 hours a day you are going to be shocked how worn out you are at the end of the week.   That is 84 hours in a week.  You will wake up, go to work, come home and sleep.  Don't live that life for less than $95k a year

It is 10 hour shifts. I did a rotation in hospital medicine that was 7 on/7 off with 10 hour shifts, and while I was still tired by the end of the week, it definitely is a lot more doable than 12hr shifts.

Archived