Being paid a reduced "training salary" when you first get hired

Not to beat a dead horse but wanted to reiterate what everyone else said about working for a practice where the wife is the manager. Ive done it twice(didnt learn my lesson the first time) and it was horrible. Especially if there isnt supposed for PAs!! Good luck to you You can and will find something better

On 9/9/2017 at 11:00 AM, EMEDPA said:

depends on the residency. most have tough internship years, but many FP residencies are pretty cush after pgy-1 like 50-60 hrs/week, allowing one to work at an urgent care or rural ER, etc nights/weekends. I have worked at 2 places with residency programs and frequently was in the hospital more than the pgy 2 and pgy 3 residents.

Ok, still not easy...I would never and will never work that many hours as a PA. To each their own, but you are trying to make it sound like working 50-60 hours plus working two 12 hour shifts that week is a piece of cake...

I think you are worth exactly as much as you are willing to take. If you think the pay is inadequate, walk away. Accepting an insulting wage and then continuing to show up to work every day just normalizes the practice.

Also, you might be a financial drain now, but you won't always be - IMO the practice should be eating the penalty on the front end, not you.

11 hours ago, camoman1234 said:

Ok, still not easy...I would never and will never work that many hours as a PA. To each their own, but you are trying to make it should like working 50-60 hours plus working two 12 hour shifts that week is a piece of cake...

Sounds like a recipe for divorce to me...

Update, in case anyone is interested. I told the doctor's wife this past Friday (I like picking Fridays to ask for things in general in life, people are in good moods on Fridays) that I wanted my full salary after 8 weeks of "training" (no, it's not actual training, that's why I used quotations), and that it is not reasonable to ask me to wait until I have approval from all the insurance companies - which could be around the time hell freezes, judging from my interaction with the insurance companies so far, which is worse than studying for the PANCE. Let me take a moment and say, fuck these insurance companies. Ah, that felt nice. Anyway, her response: OK. And she said it with a smile. It was that easy. I didn't have to push or argue at all. In fact, she was unusually apologetic to me throughout the day that day. I could not have exerted any less effort to get what I wanted. I'm so relieved. I love the job otherwise. Of course, I'll have another battle coming up next year when I renegotiate the salary at the end of my 1 year contract. These people are tight with money and don't have the greatest business sense. They dropped $2200 on a lawyer to do my work contract. My friend is a lawyer and said this usually costs around $1000. Doctors don't equal businessmen, apparently. 

16 hours ago, camoman1234 said:

Ok, still not easy...I would never and will never work that many hours as a PA. To each their own, but you are trying to make it should like working 50-60 hours plus working two 12 hour shifts that week is a piece of cake...

not easy, many of us do just that. I just left a job of 15 years that had 18 pas working  240+ hrs/mo routinely for straight pay without overtime. my regular schedule there frequently involved working doubles or even 2.5 shifts to cover the schedule. We had a shift that was 3pm to 7 am at a relatively busy place. There is a surgical PA on this forum who routinely works 80+ hrs/week with Q3 night call and has for > 10 years

3 hours ago, south said:

DUDE!  I am not the one.

I'm trying not to be that one anymore too. my base schedule now is 168 hrs/mo( 10 12s and 2 24s), but I work for several small groups so cover a lot of "emergencies". 230 hrs last month, 208 this month, 144 oct (with 10 days in Haiti), 180 Nov (with 3 days of cme) , 144 december (with a week in Hawaii)

Archived