Interview help

So I bought the book "How to Ace the PA school interview" but I also want to purchase a good mock interview. Looking at the PA platform or all things PA-C. First interview went bad so I need to be completely prepared but really don't want to pay $200 for a mock interview. Any advice is appreciated and I'd love to hear success stories from using a service if anyone has one. Thank you!

Hi!

I did mock interviews with both PA platform and PA trek. I felt like both were really helpful. PA platform (Savanna) first talked to me for 10-20ish minutes about what I wanted to work on, etc, then we did a mock interview for 25 minutes then went over what I could've done differently and what I can add to my answers. This mostly included that I should add more experiences in my answers, so I'm sure you could benefit from that too. Also, huge benefit is that she writes things all down for you and sends you the word document after with her suggestions. I had her record my interview too so I could look back. PA trek immediately went into the interview which was not what I was expecting. We did that about 30-40 minutes then he talked to me about my answers for 30 minutes after and gave me a lot of suggestions. Both cost around 120-150 I think??

And I interviewed and got accepted to a program like 2 weeks later.

Go talk to your undergrad university or other colleges/universities in your area. Try either the premed department or the career center to set up a mock interview. A PA you shadow or work with is another great option to see if they would do a mock interview with you. Even the human resources department at a hospital might have something, you never know :)

I did a mock interview at the career center at my undergrad university for my PA school interviews and it was extremely helpful. It was in person, I dressed up as though it were an actual intericew. It was with someone I had never met before which simulated that unknown factor. I let them know it was for a PA program interview. The interviewer asked some typical PA school interivew type questions and video recorded me so we could discuss how it went. 

I would suggest you try something like this before you shell out hundreds of dollars. 

On 9/3/2017 at 3:34 PM, LS2PA said:

Hi!

I did mock interviews with both PA platform and PA trek. I felt like both were really helpful. PA platform (Savanna) first talked to me for 10-20ish minutes about what I wanted to work on, etc, then we did a mock interview for 25 minutes then went over what I could've done differently and what I can add to my answers. This mostly included that I should add more experiences in my answers, so I'm sure you could benefit from that too. Also, huge benefit is that she writes things all down for you and sends you the word document after with her suggestions. I had her record my interview too so I could look back. PA trek immediately went into the interview which was not what I was expecting. We did that about 30-40 minutes then he talked to me about my answers for 30 minutes after and gave me a lot of suggestions. Both cost around 120-150 I think??

And I interviewed and got accepted to a program like 2 weeks later.

Thank you, this is super helpful. 

On 9/3/2017 at 4:07 PM, pastudentw said:

Go talk to your undergrad university or other colleges/universities in your area. Try either the premed department or the career center to set up a mock interview. A PA you shadow or work with is another great option to see if they would do a mock interview with you. Even the human resources department at a hospital might have something, you never know :)

I did a mock interview at the career center at my undergrad university for my PA school interviews and it was extremely helpful. It was in person, I dressed up as though it were an actual intericew. It was with someone I had never met before which simulated that unknown factor. I let them know it was for a PA program interview. The interviewer asked some typical PA school interivew type questions and video recorded me so we could discuss how it went. 

I would suggest you try something like this before you shell out hundreds of dollars. 

I am also doing this, but our advisor is known for being nice and not always honest. I also have not heard back from other programs so this could potentially be my last interview, so I don't mind paying the money if it will help me get accepted. but I see where you're coming from and definitely appreciate the advice!

10 hours ago, futuretxpa said:

did you purchase his book too? It costs $150 so want to make sure it would be worth it. 

yeah, i read and memorized his book. He really gauged me and helped me interview 100% better. My interview before him I got waitlisted, my interview after I was accepted. 

2 hours ago, 8404PA said:

yeah, i read and memorized his book. He really gauged me and helped me interview 100% better. My interview before him I got waitlisted, my interview after I was accepted. 

So basically you paid to do a mock interview and I'm assuming at the end he just sort of critiqued you and said what you need to work on? Also would you say that its worth getting the mock interview and not just reading the book? Or do you think the book itself would have helped enough? I don't want to just do "enough" but you know what I mean.

2 hours ago, futuretxpa said:

So basically you paid to do a mock interview and I'm assuming at the end he just sort of critiqued you and said what you need to work on? Also would you say that its worth getting the mock interview and not just reading the book? Or do you think the book itself would have helped enough? I don't want to just do "enough" but you know what I mean.

No, absolutely get the book.  And yes, at the end he gave me lots of feedback. His book is what shaped all of my responses. I read the book prior to my mock with him. To add disclosure, I did mocks with my friends after his so I could hone and work on what he told me to. 

Archived