Alternative Nursing Microbiology

Hi,

I am currently a BSN student taking care of the pre-clinical coursework. It seems as though my university has a separate microbiology course for nursing and health science majors that do not meet the biology degree requirements. My professor, who teaches both the health science 200-level and bio 300-level micro, says that most PA programs accept this sort of 'dumbed down' course.

But I understand that I could never get into medical school with a microbiology course that does not have the chemistry and biology prerequisites. From what little I can piece together, it seems as though these alternative micro courses are strongly discouraged for PA programs as well. Are there any other RNs who are experienced with this? The alternative nursing/health science micro is my only concern as I am taking traditional gen-chems and other non-BSN courses.

Thanks!

• Administrator

Your professor is likely incorrect.  I know I had to retake Ochem after getting an 'A' in a pre-nursing combined Ochem/Biochem survey course.  When in doubt, talk to the program(s) you are interested in, or just take the majors' course in the first place. Petitioning to sub it into your program should be an easy sell, might just take up some of your elective credits.

This could be program-specific I'm not really sure but I can say that at least for my institution (Augusta University) we have a nursing-allied health microbio course that I took which is different from the one that bio majors take (mbio 2500 vs 3500) and two of my classmates had no trouble gaining acceptances last cycle. One at South U and the other at Augusta U. However as rev said best to check with the program when in doubt

it is definitely program specific.. maybe 1 of 10 programs I applied to were OK with my nursing micro. I had to retake micro & chem 1,2, & ochem for PA programs. I say just go ahead and retake it, it'll look better anyway - esp. if you're possibly considering med school as well, because they definitely won't accept nursing classes. it sucks, having to retake so many classes, but I just keep telling myself it'll be worth it!

Archived