Interview: If you were rejected...

I am prepping for an upcoming PA school interview. I came across one question, which is: If you get rejected from our program, what would you consider as the main reason? I think it's a hard one to answer because it's not exactly asking about your weaknesses. It's almost like asking you to pinpoint what makes you look weak on your application (e.g. poor GPA, not enough PCE hours). Do any of you have a decent answer for this question? Thank you. 

I would turn the question around. "I feel that I'm qualified" and briefly summarize. "If I don't get in this year, I would probably" take these classes, add this to my experience, or whatever.

Don't give away your dignity no matter what question you are asked. Just turn it around like a really good politician might.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Its never great to highlight a weakness, however, there are instances where you can take a perceived weakness and use it in your favor. You could briefly mention what you believe is a weakness in your application on paper, but then spend the bulk of your answer explaining how you have already addressed this weakness and turned it from a negative to a positive. This strategy is risky, but gives you a platform to show self reflection and determination. You are also directly answering the question, while others might tip toe around it. In situations like this I truly believe a well thought out earnest answer goes a long way. 

That's an interesting way to phrase a question. I agree it needs to be 'spun' if you will in a positive manner. With that said, any glaring deficits in your application aren't a secret and will surely be asked about in your interview. This could be a tactic to get you to respond initially and then further delve into the topic in person.

I think addressing the topic head on, discussing the things you've already done to make yourself more competitive in regards to that area and briefly discussing a contingency plan is the best course of action. I.E. Patient contact hours - I've worked X amount at Y facility interacting with PAs and Physicians - if I am not accepted this go around, I plan to continue to work at Y facility in addition to obtaining Z certification.

Archived