Bariatric Surgery

I got the chance to shadow a bariatric surgery PA in NH. It sounded like her role was similar to other surgical PAs. She sees patients in the clinic, counsels and follows them to the point where they are eligible for surgery, assists in surgery, and follows patients post op and long term. 

Here are some of my notes from shadowing:

Likes: following patients long term, lifestyle, autonomy, continuity of care, improve lifestyles and remove medication dependence of people with chronic illnesses

dislikes:  making sure patients meet insurance requirements for surgery

refers pts to physician if they are high risk: high BMI, very old, very young, numerous medical complications

makes and takes a lot of post op phone calls: assess and counsel on complications, triage (schedule f/u or go to ER)

works with: dietitians, exercise physiologists, surgeons

does some office procedures (adjusting lap bands)

referrals to other specialties: sleep center (for sleep apnea), endocrinologists (DM), PT, ortho, cardiology

prescriptions: weight loss meds, diabetes meds

reviews/interprets studies: endoscopy, swallow study, ultrasounds

innovations in field: robotic surgeries, trial surgical products

Hope that was helpful :)

• 1 month later...

I shadowed a PA in bariatric. She was AMAZING! She was responsible for all the follow up appointments in one office location (adjusting lap bands, listening to complaints and complications, prescribing and refilling), and the patients really trusted her! She was also a 1st assist in the operating room, moving and retracting so that the surgeon could have a clear field to operate (laparoscopic surgery). The surgeons consulted her on every move they made, and if she didn't feel comfortable with something, they investigated and didn't proceed until the both of them came to a mutual understanding. She was then responsible for closing, suturing, and further training the residents, and the med and PA students on rotations! She would then leave and put orders in, and round on the patients! I loved it!

Archived