Non Traditional Applicant

I thought I might start a topic for those of us that are older non traditional students.  I will give you some background on myself and some of you might relate.

1st time applicant

46 years old

United States Air Force Veteran, served 1992-1996 as a Medical Laboratory Technician.  Graduated both phases of med lab training with honors and completed my 4 years with an Honorable Discharge

Like some of us I was not as focused my first year of college.  I started off at Northern Virginia Community College taking basic classes (Biology, English, Math, History)  12 credits the fall and spring.  After my first year I had a 3.04 GPA and transferred to Virginia Tech.  This is where I fell victim to "party time".  Sadly I was first placed on Academic Probation after my fisrt year then placed on Academic Suspension the following fall semester.  It was at this time I joined the USAF to "grow up"  I took the most of my experience in the military and medical training as well as combat triage and care.   I got married to my college girlfriend while I was still serving.  At the completion of my military contract we moved to North Carolina and I enrolled at NCSU studying Zoology  (It allowed my to take more bio lab classes).  While enrolled my daughter was born and was going to work full time (nights 3-11PM), school full time (8-3PM) and helping to raise my daughter.  I graduated with a 3.298 gpa (Cum Laude Honor).   I had planned on applying to PA programs then but decided due to family commitment and such to focus on home.  I have worked since 2001 in the biotech/pharmaceutical drug discovery industry since then.  I have always been a first responder at my places of work and keep my certification as a ASCP MLT.  

I took the GRE 3 times recently and the best was V 155, Q 149 AW 3.0.   

Sadly due to my year of Academic issues at Virginia Tech my CASP cGPA is 2.8 and sGPA is 2.9.   I received A's in Gen Chem/Lab, Organic Chem/Lab, and A&P as well.  I wrote a PS detailing more what I have just written about earlier explaining my growing experience in the military, juggling school, work family and still graduating a 4 year degree with honors and such. 

As others have said I did show major improvement when I returned to college but that year and a half at VA Tech has hurt my GPA a lot.  I am not giving up and if I do not get an acceptance letter this cycle will sit down with the programs and see how I can improve my package.  

I will keep the forum updated on my unique situation and will echo what others say...this place is full of great knowledge and views but the best folks are the programs themselves as for how one can improve their chances.  I wish everyone the best this cycle.

First of all, congratulations on deciding what to do next. I was about 10 years older when I applied, so you aren't too old!  Also USAF ('69-'73).

I suspect that some of your old prereqs are dated now and you may have to repeat them, giving you a chance at a better average. If not, try something a bit more advanced (I always recommend patho if you haven't taken it) to show who you are now.

Many schools have hard and fast cut-offs, while others seem to consider your last 60 credits or so. In this day of computer-driven everything, I would encourage you to visit program(s) of interest and talk to a human. The personal touch often still helps.

Best wishes. 

UgoLong,

Thank you and yes I took the A&P last year as well as a psychology course.  I'm planning on taking a course spring in either medical terminology or parasitology.  Great advice about talking to a real person and did exactly that with Duke PA program.   They said how their approach of looking at each candidate holistically and my history with military and maturity to show improvement in my undergrad was a great start. Time will tell and not going to give up after just one try. The military veteran in me does not quit lol.  Thank you again and will keep the forum up to date with my status.  

9 hours ago, Packman PA said:

UgoLong,

Thank you and yes I took the A&P last year as well as a psychology course.  I'm planning on taking a course spring in either medical terminology or parasitology.  Great advice about talking to a real person and did exactly that with Duke PA program.   They said how their approach of looking at each candidate holistically and my history with military and maturity to show improvement in my undergrad was a great start. Time will tell and not going to give up after just one try. The military veteran in me does not quit lol.  Thank you again and will keep the forum up to date with my status.  

I'm 33, ex-army.  If you can just bring those GPAs up to min. quals you might have a good shot.  I've had an interview offer with a cGPA of 3.09 (flunked out before I enlisted) and sGPA of 3.49.  Far from perfect but I cast a wide net and I think the holisitic ad-comms will see value in your experience.

Archived