ICU pay?

Does anyone here have any experience in the ICU, specifically with salary? It seems that everyone i have talked to who has worked in the ICU have been having good pay. 

Friend 1- new grad, CT ICU, 3 10s and 1 12 per week, 1 weekend per month, no call, $125k a year

Friend 2- new grad, medical ICU, 3 12s night shift, no call, $130k a year

Colleague 1- 10 years medical ICU, 4 10s, $160k a year

colleague 2- 15 years NICU, 4 10s, 150k

do ICU PAs pay that well? These jobs are in different locations, but they all seem to be happy with them. Any input?

Guest HanSolo

I recently saw a job posting for a NICU position that offered a....wait for it....whopping potential salary range of $39-55/hr DOE. Oh, I forgot to mention it was for nights. Position was posted a few months ago. I wonder if HR is like, "why can't we fill this?" 

there's usually a differential for nights. Mixed shifts is difficult, working weekends is inconvenient, often there's something of a bump in pay to compensate.

I wouldn't advise working ICU if $$ is your prime motivator. It's challenging on a number of levels, and if you're not happy doing that sort of work, then to my mind it's not worth the $$ you might receive.

best wishes in your endeavors!

1 hour ago, charlottew said:

there's usually a differential for nights. Mixed shifts is difficult, working weekends is inconvenient, often there's something of a bump in pay to compensate.

I wouldn't advise working ICU if $$ is your prime motivator. It's challenging on a number of levels, and if you're not happy doing that sort of work, then to my mind it's not worth the $$ you might receive.

best wishes in your endeavors!

Oh I'm in ER and I'm not interested in ICU at all, just curious to see if the money is that good in that field 

7 hours ago, GatorRRT said:

3 years ICU experience here in the Southeast. I comfortably fall between the 125-160 range you mentioned. Granted, I provide solo night coverage. 

That is a big gap, could you explain to me why your salary differs so much in ICU work? Is it because of moonlighting? I am assuming you do not get a bonus...? Please advise. 

No this is base 7 on/7off nights for a major hospital system. As to why salary seems to trend higher in critical care medicine, I'd imagine supply and demand of experienced critical care providers. This is also my second job, after spending two years making nearly 50% less so I could take advantage of a positive learning environment; gaining the patient management and procedural skills so I could eventually function fairly independently as I do now. 

Gotcha, I mis-read your comment, I thought you meant that your salary fluctuates between 125-160 K and I was wondering if ICU gets a bonus or not. I understand why ICU pays more cause of the the 7 on / 7 off and most APPs that I know that work ICU cover the night shift. You would have to pay me more as well to work nights, I can barely get to work at 8:00 am haha :) Congrats on the pay increase and independence GatorRRT!

Archived