Does the AAPA deserve our support in 2012?

Should we support the AAPA in 2012  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Should we support the AAPA in 2012

• YES, RENEW MEMBERSHIP/JOIN
    • NO, DON'T RENEW/JOIN

No, I admit I sort of pulled that figure out of my... out of thin air. It's about what my employer covers in a year for CME and memberships, which is why it must have seemed right at the time.

$250 a year to be part of the conversation doesn't strike me as a horrible barrier, but I still would like to see more responsiveness about those issues that are near and dear to my heart.

So do you retract your original slightly ignorant statement then? that was quite the unfair and unwarranted jab. If money is what makes it a bad analogy, then you severely missed the point :-\

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, hang on. You were the one who 1) made the analogy between not choosing to be a member of the AAPA and not voting in a Presidential election, and 2) said "maybe this is a stupid analogy." My response - and it was sincere, by the way, the part about showing you the consideration due to a colleague, rather than the coddling I'd show to a student who hasn't been out in practice yet - was to disagree with the validity of that analogy, and using your words.

So, "ignorant" doesn't seem to fit. Not sure about "unfair" or "unwarranted" either. I was disagreeing, and the figure I quoted was too high, my bad. But as Contrarian says, it's not the amount that's important, it's the fact that it costs money to join, and whenever I spend money I like to have a sense of what I'm getting for it. From the previous six pages here, it would seem that's not so cut and dried.

So yes, money is what makes it a bad analogy. Please explain how I missed the point.

Umm... it also should be OBVIOUS to even "Ray Charles" and "Stevie Wonder" that voting for the leader of the free world and voting for the president of the AAPA is ENTIRELY two different things... miles apart and NOT to be compared...!!!

Unless of course one likes hyperbolic ill-formed comparisons like I do...:heheh: ...:kiss:

Archived