Scribing as Experience

Hi! I have been working as a medical scribe for an internal medicine office for the past year, and am applying to PA school this cycle (I have 1800 hours). I have already received two rejection letters, and worry that schools are not valuing my scribing experience as highly as other health care experiences. I feel as though I have learned so much this year and am frustrated with the lack of schools that accept scribing for health care experience.

I was wondering if anyone has had success with applying to schools and being accepted with only scribing experience for their HCE? What schools hold it as highly as other experiences? Just trying to feel out if there are other schools I should add to my application/ if I need to start pursuing additional HCE in a different role. Thanks!

Did you happen to look at each school's prerequisites case by case? I applied this cycle, but I made sure to find out whether a school specifically required direct patient care or just healthcare experience in general.

Here are a few threads with differing opinions. In the first link someone lists schools that will accept scribe hours.

Biggest question I want to ask if are you checking their recommendations on scribing. Most schools do not like scribes anymore, but some still do. I have been a pharmacy tech and now a scribe and only applied to schools where they value what I have done. Have 1 interview scheduled. Are you limited to just documenting or are you able to assist in minor procedures, understand the lab work and Xrays? Did you write all of that in your description of your job if you do? Also it can come down to GPA, GRE, shadowing, volunteering, etc. It is a complex battle unless they are telling you flat out it is your experience which I personally would ask the programs why you were rejected and what you can do. If they really do not like scribing try getting your CNA that is more directly hands on. Feel free to message with questions! This is my 2nd real attempt at applying and already getting interviews.

@Jdabrowski I do assist in taking temperatures, weights, BPs, and I do need to understand and relay imaging reports and lab work to patients! I have been checking recommendations and only applying to schools that accept it, but have been limiting my scope to the NE (NJ, PA, MD, DC, VA, NC, NY, MA). Was just trying to get a feeler out for other programs I may have missed over. If you don't mind sharing, where is your interview scheduled? Thanks for your help.

My first interview will be at UCPAP in West Virginia-Charleston. Waiting to hear back on some schools in NC like Campbell (should hear next week) who recommended that I do scribing for a year after my interview last year. Also applied to Quinnipiac in CT as they favored my PCE.

@Alyssa622 When you filled out the CASPA did you clearly state that in box that describes your role? I also emailed and verified with programs if they would OK that work and ended up crossing a few programs off my list. As of now I will have applied to 15 schools. I wanted to apply broad and many for the best chance and submitted most in May. 

I'm also a scribe and trying to earn some DPC. One thing you might want to make sure is if the school you apply to will accept any type of scribe work. I know that emory only accept ED scribes, and not office scribes. You can also try to elaborate about your job as a scribe and mention in your essay that you do get one on one time with the patient and prove to them that you do provide direct care the patients. I know some schools don't consider scribing as DPC because they think that all scribes do is document information and because scribing didn't really began until a few years ago, there are still people who dont even know what a scribe do. Good luck to you!

Archived