18Ds and SOCMs PJs Roll Call

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2017 at 7:35 PM, RangerMedic said:

2013 grad from SOCM as a Ranger medic. I've applied to UW, UC-Davis, Utah, SIU, UNC, DUKE, Univ. of Phila. Is there any advice you guys have?

I can only speak for the UoU- they are a military friendly school, they are even one of the original MEDEX programs. Your experience as a SOCM will set you up nicely. Interviews at the U are great, and everyone agrees. They really do just want to get to know you, so let the stress go and just be yourself. Some of the most impactful portions of my interviews were those in which we discussed caring for local villagers while on patrol. The U is very focused on serving the underserved and making an impact in the healthcare disparities around the world and in our own communities. I highly recommend this program, but you have to go where it feels right. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask, but where as you've already applied, I think you are on the right track and won't need much in the way of guidance for some time. Congrats on applying and best of luck!

On 8/3/2017 at 11:20 AM, andrewlcook1970 said:

Former PJ (Indoc 95-001) and now an AD intel officer.  Looking to apply to PA schools in the next cycle or two.  Any advice or experiences in the application process would be appreciated. 

Drew Cook

The application process isn't bad. CASPA is a little finicky but nothing you can't handle. Be sure to have a master list of all your skills, awards, achievements, health care hours, college credits etc. Start working on you personal statement as this truly is the hardest part of the process. Write it and then write it again, have many people review it, especially recent PA school grads. Start early too, don't put it off. However, don't apply until you are ready to commit 2 years of your life. PA school is excellent and as a PJ you are set up very well for this sort of thing. They say its like drinking from a firehose, but I think its easier than SOCM was, (I can't speak for PJ school but I imagine it is very similar to SOCM). There is a website, PAEA, that has a list of every program and their application information. Pick out your favorite schools and match your college stuff up with each program to make sure you qualify. Let me know if you need anything else.

15 hours ago, SOCM02-09 said:

The application process isn't bad. CASPA is a little finicky but nothing you can't handle. Be sure to have a master list of all your skills, awards, achievements, health care hours, college credits etc. Start working on you personal statement as this truly is the hardest part of the process. Write it and then write it again, have many people review it, especially recent PA school grads. Start early too, don't put it off. However, don't apply until you are ready to commit 2 years of your life. PA school is excellent and as a PJ you are set up very well for this sort of thing. They say its like drinking from a firehose, but I think its easier than SOCM was, (I can't speak for PJ school but I imagine it is very similar to SOCM). There is a website, PAEA, that has a list of every program and their application information. Pick out your favorite schools and match your college stuff up with each program to make sure you qualify. Let me know if you need anything else.

Hey, thanks.  How did you tally up health care hours for your military time? 

9 hours ago, andrewlcook1970 said:

Hey, thanks.  How did you tally up health care hours for your military time? 

While conus you can just add them up as you would for any other job. If you worked 20hrs at the clinic each week you get 20 hours each week, real simple. Go to http://directory.paeaonline.org/  or http://help.unicas.com:8888/caspaHelpPages/frequently-asked-questions/index.html, the FAQ section tells you how to break yours hours down by healthcare, patient care etc. While deployed, you can count 60 hours per week, no questions asked. If your D-MOS is medical, you get 60hrs for each week of deployment. Hope that helps bro!

On 8/4/2017 at 10:35 PM, RangerMedic said:

2013 grad from SOCM as a Ranger medic. I've applied to UW, UC-Davis, Utah, SIU, UNC, DUKE, Univ. of Phila. Is there any advice you guys have?

What class were you in?  I graduated  in April of '13.  

SOCM 07-12 

SOCAMS 03/14

Applied to University of Alabama Birmingham for fall 2018.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, 

I am SOCM Navy SEAL, I have a prior degree in Finance. For the students in PA school now, how did you finish your pre-reqs/where did you do them? I want to apply to Yale, Stanford, UoI, UC Davis, USC. I saw one person say that SOCM was easier than actual PA school? Truth? Did the CASPA take credits from SOCM (A&P, Pharma, etc.)

Thanks everyone!

3 hours ago, JFSTV said:

Hey everyone, 

I am SOCM Navy SEAL, I have a prior degree in Finance. For the students in PA school now, how did you finish your pre-reqs/where did you do them? I want to apply to Yale, Stanford, UoI, UC Davis, USC. I saw one person say that SOCM was easier than actual PA school? Truth? Did the CASPA take credits from SOCM (A&P, Pharma, etc.)

Thanks everyone!

I personally obtained a degree that covered my pre-reqs. I did a bachelors of science in medical laboratory science, and the only extra class I had to take was medical terminology. So I am in my second semester of 4 at the UoU and I don't think it's really that bad. It is certainly hard, you earn every bit of it but I maintain that SOCM was more difficult thus far. Maybe it has changed since I went through but I digress. CASPA does not take credits from SOCM. There is a school in North Carolina that DOES convert SOCM credits, but I don't have any more information on that. Use some of the links I posted above to research what each school requires and what they accept. If you ever have doubts, contact the director of admissions and they can clarify. Best of luck Frog Man. Keep us posted. 

I am a dirty reservist ( but am pretty active) so take that for what it's worth. I came into the AF with a non Science Bachelors and started prereqs on a deployment. I came back and hammered out school full time at the local community college and PJ requirements part time over the next year. I finished my CASPA application before going overseas again and completed my last outstanding course in the sandbox with the blessing of my professors. I also had my first kid and moved houses during this whole process. It is all totally doable, you just have to find a flexible community college and time manage well. Best of luck, pm me if I can help in any way. I start in January so I cant speak to the difficulty nor I go through SOCM.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey bros!

SARC here. Graduated SOCM class 6-11.

Friend showed me this site today. 

Anyways! Left the Navy this past spring. Took some time off and now I'm at UNC- Wilmington getting my bachelors in Exercise Science. This is my first semester as a full time student, and I completed my associates before this while still serving. I should probably have a couple more years before I graduate, I'm gonna sit down with my counselor and map stuff out. The university has some lame requirements for me to graduate which pushed my graduation date back. 

I'm gonna browse around the site and see what information I can find. Just wanted to introduce myself. 

Quick question- Are you guys doing anymore to bolster up your resume? As far as work/volunteering? I kinda have this idea of maybe getting a part time job as a pharmacy tech, just to be around meds again. I was in for 9 1/2 years so I feel like have a lot of experience. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

thanks 

Travis 

11 hours ago, Outlive said:

Hey bros!

Anyways! Left the Navy this past spring. Took some time off and now I'm at UNC- Wilmington getting my bachelors in Exercise Science. This is my first semester as a full time student, and I completed my associates before this while still serving. I should probably have a couple more years before I graduate, I'm gonna sit down with my counselor and map stuff out. The university has some lame requirements for me to graduate which pushed my graduation date back. 

I'm gonna browse around the site and see what information I can find. Just wanted to introduce myself. 

Quick question- Are you guys doing anymore to bolster up your resume? As far as work/volunteering? I kinda have this idea of maybe getting a part time job as a pharmacy tech, just to be around meds again. I was in for 9 1/2 years so I feel like have a lot of experience. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

thanks 

Travis 

Keep up the leadership roles. I did teaching assisting for AP and Ochem, eventually became the head of my research lab as an undergrad (took 2 years). But as far as working, I didn't do anything. I graduated as fast as possible and applied as soon as I could. Lived off GI bill and tutoring. 

Hey bros!
thanks 
Travis 

Patient contact hours brotha, find a part time to boost those pt contact hours.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

SOCM Class 1-13, and NSW 5392. I'm actually headed to the refresher next week!

I'm just getting started with this process. I have two years left till my contract ends, and I'm looking at doing a civilian PA. I already have a BA, but I still have to do all of the prerequisites for PA school. I'm looking at doing them online. Anyone have any advice on specific programs for that? I'm hoping to use Tuition Assistance just to keep the price down. So far it looks like University of New England is going to be the most straightforward, though I'll have to do some classes somewhere else first.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/21/2017 at 11:25 AM, JFSTV said:

Hey everyone, 

Thanks everyone!

Hey man,

Same boat...previous bachelors and still working the pre-reqs. I got around this by speaking with Web TA on the phone. They told me exactly what I needed to do to work the problem. I ultimately uploaded the NAVINST for the IPAP as my academic advising paperwork. This allowed me to get TA funding for several pre-reqs. I am now getting out to pursue a PA degree as a civilian in a couple years when I get out. When I get back from this deployment I'm going to start working with my local education office on how to get the pre-reqs justified for TA for schools like UNC and Eastern Virginia Medical School. The pre-reqs required by most schools outside the IPAP are obviously different, so I'll see how I can work it. If I break through I'll get back to you and if you've had any success please let me know. 

Thank you 02-09 for starting this up

Pete- I used Kaplan-regionally accredited and cake courses. TA was streamlined and there customer service was the best I've experienced

Tyler 02-15

Quick question for you guys,

Were you able to get credit for A and P transferred from your JST to count towards pre-reqs at any of the schools you are applying to? I know UNC credits you for those courses for SOCM, but what about those that don't. Is there a way to have a school transcribe the credits as their own towards one of there degrees (if that makes any sense-bad wording)? Or did you guys have to re-take the full year of A and P to apply.

Trying to line up pre-reqs for EVMS, Chapel Hill, Duke, Northwestern, UW Tacoma, and UAB. Its an interesting beast trying to line up conflicting pre-reqs across different schools. There are some obvious similarities, but a lot of randoms thrown in. 

Thanks in advance. 

Tyler 

edit: referring to JST and SOCM credits this was the main question I was trying to get to (this was posted on Northwestern's site-if you guys have any knowledge on this) JFSTV I think this hits what we're trying to get after...

For other military coursework (e.g. Basic Training, classes taken during regular service), read and consider the following process carefully for coursework outside prerequisite requirements, as credit evaluation my carry additional fees.

• Other military coursework (e.g. Basic Training, classes taken during regular service) will not be directly accepted.
  • Other military coursework must first be submitted to a regionally accredited institution in the form of an official military transcript (Joint Services Transcript - JST). This accredited institution must award credit as graded or non-graded coursework. Northwestern University will not provide this service. 
  • The official transcript from the regionally accredited institution should be sent to CASPA as part of your formal application.

Archived