Surgical PA Offer

I'm not very familiar with the whole contract/negotiation thing so please excuse me but I would greatly appreciate any and all input. Surgical PA offer for $85k for 40 hr week, but the pay is hourly which would come out to be $42.5/hr (correct me if I'm wrong). I assume this means any work over 40 hrs will be considered time and half (if that's the case, 45 hr/week the entire year would equate to ~$100k. Have not gotten full details on vacation, CMEs, etc. I realize this is not much to go on but this is all the info I have early on in the process until I speak with them further.

$85,000 would equate to $40.87/hr ($85,000/52/40). If it's an exempt position (salary pay) rather than non-exempt (hourly pay), you typically would not get overtime pay. So even if you end up working more than you were supposed to for the day, there is no 1.5x. However, if you work an extra day than you are supposed to (ex, decide to work for someone), you should get compensated for that extra day.

On the other hand, if it's a non-exempt (hourly pay) position, usually there would be overtime pay and differentials (ex 1.5x for weekends, 2x holidays, etc). Personally, for that reason, I prefer non-exempt positions.

Anyone reading this, please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't have any PA job experience as I'm a new grad, but I've worked other jobs before (exempt and non-exempt)

• 3 weeks later...

So a little more info, I did counter for 90k, still awaiting reply. And the position is non-exempt (hourly pay). All federal holidays off. Not sure about call schedule, CMEs, benefits but I think they will be pretty good. Specialty is Cardiothoracic Surgery. What do you guys think?

Definitely find out about the call schedule and what kind of call. Is call included in the 40-hour work week or in addition? Is it M-F or will you have to work weekends? Do they compensate call/weekends by giving you time off post-call, for example, if you work a weekend, will they give you that following Monday off? Is there a potential to work more hours if you want  in order to make more or bonus structure? 

Archived