iPad vs android tablet?

Hey guys! I'm starting PA school next month and heard a tablet can be pretty helpful, but I can't decide whether to get an iPad 4 or a Samsung galaxy tablet. Does anyone have any recommendations on other android tablets or which is better for medical apps, note taking, etc.? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a the ipad mini. It is just what I already had. My biggest pet peeve about it is that when I try to open documents or anything, it always opens them in the web browser instead of as a word doc or in power point. So for example all my powerpoints are on Canvas and the ipad won't open them in powerpoint. It will only copy the link (not the file) into one note and then continues to open it in the web browser instead of as a file. It drives me crazy. So I essentially put everything into one note from my laptop so when I pull it up on my ipad it goes through the word applications. Maybe I'm just using it wrong but for this reason, I would be more inclined towards an android tablet. But the good thing is the ipad has great batter life and seems reliable. 

In my limited experience, I'd say that one of the primary drivers for tablets is not so much the brand, but the size. I struggled with an iPad mini, since I felt that the screen was too small. Some older tablets are also not designed from the ground up with writing in mind, so writing fluidly during a class may be difficult. I used an Adonit-brand "Jot Mini" for the tablet, which was probably the best results I could get for the iPad mini. I'd suggest getting one of the newer tablets that come with an Apple Pen or unit-specific stylus, so they can easily replicate the pen-and-paper feel. c:

I can't speak for android tablets but I have an ipad pro and it has been really great, especially for anatomy. I take notes using a stylus on the notability app, so I can draw directly on the slides. I also have a really good anatomy app (complete anatomy) that I know is available for iOS but I am not sure if it would be available for androids.

That being said, a bunch of my classmates have samsung and other tablets and seem to really like them. Tablets are really expensive, so if you are not extremely picky about the user interface, I would get something cheaper than an iPad. I just like it because I will be able to access my documents on my iphone for rotations.

Archived