Family Medicine Offer - Thoughts?

Hi all-

I am a new grad with two offers in family medicine at two community health centers in the same city:

Offer 1

Base Salary 105K            

Stipend   None 

Term  3 years    

Annual Raises 2.5%

Signing Bonus 25K

Patients to see annually 4200                   

Extra work shift 55/hr   

Retirement 403(b)  2%

Offer 2

Base Salary 100K

Stipend**  20K       ** Stipend requires going to a clinic that is a 30-45 minute commute one-way

Term     2 years

Annual Raises None

Signing Bonus    10K

Patients to see annually 4800

Extra work shift 60/hr

Retirement 403(b)4%

All other items the same for CME days and $, medical/dental/vision, productivity and relocation bonuses, malpractice, etc

I tried to negotiate with Job 2 about base salary stating "the other clinic's offer is more competitive" and citing my background experience but they said no in order to remain fair and preserve equality to all new providers. I was thinking about sending Job 2 an email specifically giving the specifics of Offer 1 including base, patients seen annually, and annual raises. Would sharing those specifics be considered bad form? Am I sounding greedy? Would you do something completely different? What would you do?

I would appreciate anyone's response.

IMO, both offers are solid, but offer 1 is better in the long run. You get an annual raise, sign-on bonus, and less patients, but I wouldn't sign a 3 year contract as a new grad. I would rather negotiate with offer 1 about that and also get the retirement to 3% and take that. It is a great offer. As far as offer 2 is concerned, I doubt they would increase your base pay and I think it is a fair offer as a new grad.

I had 2 years of FP, so yes I was new. I have 2 MAs, 1 referral coord., 1 front desk, and 1 part time lady (helps out with phones, charts, etc). I have more staff for my solo practice than a lot of people have and it was still VERY difficult. On paper it does not sound bad, but let me tell you it was. You will learn over the first couple of years of practice, you have to think about med refills, imaging review, lab review from past patients that week prior, insurance "stuff", talking with other providers on phone, walk ins, and charting....with all that plus seeing patients it gets hard. Good luck!

Archived