Non Traditional with low Cum. but High sci. GPA?

Hey guys, I'm new here, just got directed to this forum from reddit.

Stats:

33/m

cGPA 3.09

SciGPA 3.49

BCP GPA: 3.46 (similar to the last 60 hrs)

BS Biology

HCE: Full time Paramedic > 2600 hrs and increasing 

GRE: N/A

I flunked out of Comm College in 2003-2005, enlisted in the Army, served 4 yrs and 2 deployments, came back and did much better in school. I'm hoping I can make the first round cut-off and at least get to an interview where I can demonstrate my dedication.

Applying this cycle (2017/18) to about 16-18 schools

Any thoughts?

Hey Funky,

What was your experience in the Army? Medic or non-medical?

Your stats are good not great, but your experiences can really be the deal-maker for your depending on what you did in the service. Not sure what part of the country you're in, but consider MEDEX at the University of Washington. Very pro-military with a certain number of seats reserved for prior service.

I'm a former U.S. Army medic and current PA. Some schools really liked my background, others didn't really bat an eye at my military experiences and wanted to talk about the cool guy stuff I did in undergrad after I left the service.

Hope that helps. Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions I might be able to help with.

Guest HanSolo

If your personal statement is good, I think you will get some interviews at places that will forgive the GPA. Your last 60 hours are average at best. Reality is that a school may see you as an academic liability. You have good HCE, though. Apply to places that favor military experience. 

Wish you the best. 

• Administrator

You're a reasonable candidate now, and your upward trend and military experience make your pre-service low cum GPA understandable.  I would continue taking some upper division science classes as a backup plan if you don't get in this year:  If you can pull your Cum up to 3.2 and continue improving your hours, upper division science classes, and BCP GPA in the process, you're going to be just that much stronger a candidate next year.

Hey guys thanks for all the advice.  I was 11-Bang Bang, (Airborne Infantry) in the army so not a lot of medical experience from that but my time deployed is what motivated me to move to the medical field and I reflected on that in my personal statements.  I am applying to a lot of yellow ribbon schools and schools that offer "bonus" admission points for veterans. Also schools that offer "holistic" admissions processes  My strategy is to cast a wide net and see if anybody gives me a chance.  If I have to re-apply i'll be coming up on expiring pre-reqs (the NG deployed me to Egypt causing a delay in completion of my BS) 

I really appreciate the responsiveness of this forum, wish I had known it was here a few years ago when I started this journey.

Guest HanSolo

Sometimes it is less about previous medical experience than how well you translate how that experience can help you in your future career. Sounds like you have a solid plan and have thought it through. There are no guarantees, but I would be surprised if you were a re-applicant. 

Sometimes it is less about previous medical experience than how well you translate how that experience can help you in your future career. Sounds like you have a solid plan and have thought it through. There are no guarantees, but I would be surprised if you were a re-applicant. 

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I have become an expert at "Word-fu" and trying to translate military experience into resume' type key words and phrases. 

Archived