Why do they ask which programs you have applied to?

During an interview, I was asked which other programs I applied to and which offered me an interview.  There is a program I want to apply to this cycle and they ask the same questions allowing only 100 characters to answer each question:  What programs did you apply to and how many time did you apply to each?  Where have you interviewed?

I'm not sure why this matters or how to answer using 100 or less characters.  Does anyone have any insight on this?

I got asked that when I applied last year (in school now, 2nd year)... I'm not sure, but I think they want to get a range of where you really want to live and if you're serious about their program/area. 

That's a great answer.  I've been pondering this for several days before posting the question here.

I got asked that when I applied last year (in school now, 2nd year)... I'm not sure, but I think they want to get a range of where you really want to live and if you're serious about their program/area. 

I always felt it was less about WHERE and more about the caliber of programs.  You can often tell from a list of programs which ones might be 'reach' schools vs 'safety' schools.  I know you could on my list (there was absolutely NO location consideration in my applications).  Schools might try to decipher if they're just the back up based on where else you applied.

I have a slightly different take. I was asked "Ok... so do you have interviews anywhere else?". I told them I did, one that was scheduled for the following week at a school about an hour and a half south that matriculates a similar type of student. We were told we'd hear back in about 3-4 weeks with an admission decision.

I heard back 4 days later with an acceptance. 

I think it might force their hand if they truly are interested in you. 

Archived