EMT to PA career guidance request

Hello,

I have been a part time Emt for about a year, currently doing my pre-reqs and could use some guidance in terms of PA specialty. I'm 34. 

So far I have done about 80 hours of shadowing. Outpatient Oncology (clinic), In patient Oncology Gyn, Robotic surgery, Reconstructive plastics surgery, ER Fast track, Cardiothoracic surgery, plus conversations with at least 3 other types of PA. 

What I like about being an EMT is the variety, the autonomy, the patient interaction and the ability to help at least one person a shift who really needs it. Dislike the crack heads, non-compliant/combative people, and psych patients- I view all three as hard to treat, its just draining to be honest. I can honestly see why police are emotionally shot, dealing with this all day or night.

But when I treat a trauma victim or acutely ill person stuck at home or an incredibly kind senior I feel happy. Full disclosure I have never been happy at work, hence the career change.

Of the fields I shadowed, I liked the variety of the ER fast track. The PA ran that room and helped some nice people who were just having a bad day- Kinda like an EMT. Also saw some not so pleasant pysch patients. 

The reconstructive plastics PA's did quite a bit in the OR (breast reconstruction), they also said they did clinic. I feel like they see alot of different cases in oncology. The Gyn PA at the hospital had nearly complete autonomy managing his patients and took good care of them, but I think I might get bored just managing patients after surgery but before discharge. 

The cardiothoracic PA did a double Bypass, holy cow was that impressive what she could do. I really enjoyed the autonomy she had in the OR and in the CVICU. 

I really disliked the outpatient clinic, basically the PA just did H/P, then the doc came in and made all the choices, then the PA would finish the note on the visit and call patients. Sorry but it felt like she was an admin aide and I am done with that work.

So the question is- what specialty would you suggest to a talkative extrovert who enjoys procedures and dislikes micromanagement? I just know I would detest doing the paperwork only to have an MD come in and do the procedure and make all the patient care decisions. Open to suggestions, questions, and appreciative of advice. 

You're putting the cart before the horse here.  Worry about getting into a program and decide specialty later.  You'll learn during your program and clinicals what scope of practice you might be able to expect and what is a good fit for you.  No need to decide right now; many students actually change their mind during their program anyway.

Autonomy and procedures not only vary across specialties but work environment.  A surgery PA at one place might have a different scope than a surgery PA elsewhere.  Lots of variables to consider.

You won't know which specialty is the right fit for you until you have been through some rotations.  We can tell you our opinions all day long, but they won't matter in the long run. 

I made the jump from EMT to PA and love it.  I'm doing internal medicine outpatient and wound care outpatient.  I am autonomous.  I have an excellent gig.

• Administrator
I really disliked the outpatient clinic, basically the PA just did H/P, then the doc came in and made all the choices, then the PA would finish the note on the visit and call patients. Sorry but it felt like she was an admin aide and I am done with that work.

That's not typical at all.  That's a misuse of a PA.  When I did Family Medicine Walk-In/Urgent Care Lite, the MD never saw the my patients unless I asked him to, which was rarely.

I was a Paramedic for 10+ years.   Decided on PA school.  Just graduated at the age of 45.  Not easy but worth it.  I hated the truck just like you BUT YOU DONT SAY THAT!!!  This was a learning experience for you.   No (AND I MEAN NO) negative in your statements, interviews, etc.  Everything is a learning experience.  Everything was worthwhile.  All patients deserved your full attention.  None were a burden.  Just saying anything suggesting that they were a pain in the ass will get you nowhere.  I'm not saying be dishonest.  We all get tired of frequent flyers and jerks.  But when you apply to school and work those comment need to be held back.

Agree with the comment about cart before the horse. Right now you should focus on understanding the role of a PA in the healthcare team and whether that's the right fit for you. There's lots of flexbility and variation in jobs but you need a good grasp of what a PA is/does in the general sense. Sounds like you've been exposed to lots of different PA positions which is good. The last one you mentioned where the MD made all the choices is not typical, and not proper use of a PA (more like an over-paid MA). You'll get a better sense of what is a good fit for you during rotations. I always tell the PA students that rotate through our practice not to get too caught up in the specialty, there are lots of other variables that can make or break a job- hours, autonomy, location, etc.

Get into a program first. If you get turned on by some aspects of EMT work you may find EM is a natural transition. However, I hate to break it to you but the same things you hate about being an EMT you will hate about EM. Crackheads, drug seekers, the irresponsible and uneducated, etc. You will get to see/do some cool stuff but your autonomy will vary widely based on where you work. You may have to do a residency or paid internship first before getting into fully-paid EM, as it is competitive.

I was also an EMT but only for a year in college. 

Archived