Physician "Reference Questionnaire" for Credentialing

I am in the process of getting credentialed with insurance companies and was asked for contact information from a physician that can "attest to your clinical abilities in the last 24 months."

I was curious how common this is? While it shouldn't be a problem for me, I could see how this could present as a problem for a PA that left a previous job on less than a positive note, as a physician could refuse to complete the reference or worse provide false information regarding clinical abilities.

How is it that having completed a PA education and passed my boards isn't enough attestation for my clinical abilities (and for those who have been in the game longer, annual CME)?  Obviously I have much to continue learning, as we all should throughout our careers, but seems odd.

It's not uncommon to need credentialing references. I am usually asked for any provider, including also other PAs, NPs, or physicians. In the beginning I used PA program PAs and clinical preceptors. Now I often use fellow PAs or physicians I know in the various hospitals I round in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guest UVAPAC

I am "re-credentialing" at my hospital right now.

They will not accept APRN's or MD's as a reference.  "MUST BE OF THE SAME DISCIPLINE"

Since I am the only PA-C working in my department, it makes it a little tricky.  However now that I also work in urgent care per-dem, it is simple.  

Archived