Need all Pre-reqs, should I do a formal Post Bacc program?

I have a degree in an unrelated field and need to take all of my science prereqs. I'm worried about getting shut out of any classes along the way which, depending on the class, could set me back up to (or at least) a year. Has anyone in a similar situation gone through a post bacc program to avert this problem? Thanks.

Just take whatever pre reqs you need at a community college, don't worry about a degree program.

My husband's degree was in Athletic Training and only had a couple pre reqs done through his Bachelors. He took the rest of the pre reqs through a community college after he graduated with his degree.

• 3 weeks later...

A postbacc program would most likely be more expensive and include more courses than needed (which is great if you want to be prepared, but not necessary if you're aiming to apply to PA schools as soon as possible). Most PA schools require: 2 semesters of Bio with lab, 2 semesters of Chem with lab, at least 1 semester of Orgo, 1 semester of Microbio with lab, 2 semesters of Human Anatomy and Physiology with lab OR 1 semester of Human Physiology + 1 semester of Human Anatomy, and 1 semester of Math (most require statistics, some may require Calculus).  

The rest of the prerequisites vary between schools. Some schools require an additional Orgo 2 with lab, some require Physics, some English, some Humanities and Behavioral Science, Medical Terminology, Psychology, Genetics, etc... etc... 

It would probably be more time-efficient (and cheaper) for you to take the core prereqs at a CC and take whatever other classes you may need for the programs you've narrowed down and want to apply to at the same CC. You can even take it online, though I recommend this only for non-science classes as you want a strong foundation for your basic knowledge. I took all my post-bacc classes at a CC online with in-class labs, and it was only $125 per credit hour. 

Archived