Hi All!

I am about to graduate from PA school this fall, and have begun looking into the licensing process. I plan to practice in the DC metro area (DC, MD, VA), and was wondering whether any folks living in/around DC have advice about licensing in the DC metro area? In particular, has anyone heard whether there is reciprocity between any of the states in the DC metro area? I'm planning to begin the licensing process for all three states, but to ultimately only submit my licensing application for the specific state in which I get a job. I'd really appreciate any insight you have about licensing/jobs in general in the DC Metro area!

Thanks!

Joanna

Just moved from there and VA, MD, and DC all have their own, uniquely complicated, licensing process.  They all have different laws, different requirements, and different fees (and that's probably the major sticking point of reciprocity, $$$). 

Pro tip: If you are going to work in DC. Just bite the bullet and drop everything off when you can. It will make things move a lot faster for all your licensing. The staff is friendly and efficient and dropping off the paperwork makes things move a lot faster.

All the best!

Hi There!

Thank you so much for the info. This is really helpful! Do you have any suggestions about job searching in DC, MD, VA? I'm mainly looking at Internal Medicine, Emergency Medicine, and Surgery positions. I've been using indeed, and also searching on the different hospital websites. Are there any other places I should be sure to check? Thanks again for the info. I really appreciate it!

Joanna

I currently practice in Virginia. As mentioned, each state has their own unique requirements. DC and MD are notorious for being quite cumbersome (MD requires you to get a DEA license specific for that state, DC requires fingerprinting, etc). Definitely start early and make sure all of your t's are crossed before submitting as the licensing boards can be quite sticklers.

In addition to the typical job search websites, reach out to the Northern Virginia Academy of PAs (Northern VAPA) at northernvapa@gmail.com. Request to be added to the list serve as there are jobs emailed out monthly that often aren't posted on the typical job search websites.

Hi There!

Thank you so much for the info. This is really helpful! Do you have any suggestions about job searching in DC, MD, VA? I'm mainly looking at Internal Medicine, Emergency Medicine, and Surgery positions. I've been using indeed, and also searching on the different hospital websites. Are there any other places I should be sure to check? Thanks again for the info. I really appreciate it!

Joanna

Sorry for the delay, I found my job on Doc Cafe. Indeed isn't a bad place to look as well. I would also just look at the hospital websites directly, Medstar is one of the bigger systems along with Hopkins on the MD/DC side of the river.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Archived