2nd time applicant, how do I look?

Hello everyone,

So this is my 2nd time applying but I should mention the first time I applied I had not finished the majority of my prerequisites or even my BA which severely hindered my opportunities. I was only able to apply to 2 schools and I got an interview at one but was denied in the end.

Anyway here is what Im looking at...

Undergrad: Southern New Hampshire University

Major: General Studies / Social Sciences
Age at Application Time: 27

Undergrad GPA: 4.0

Chem 1/2: A

OChem: A

Biochemistry: A

Biology: A

Stats: A

Anatomy/Physiology: A

Micro: A

Psych: A

​Patient Care Experience: Around 15,000 hours as a surgical technologist in multiple specialties as well as running a surgery center.

LOR: 5 LOR's all from Physicians such as surgeons and anesthesiologists

Shadowing: 40 Hours

Currently no GRE

Ill be applying to 9 schools at the moment. Not having the GRE limits where I can apply.

Things that bother me currently are that my undergrad is not a very prestigious school or major and I have no volunteer hours.

Your stats are awesome! Take the GRE to open up some options (if you feel comfortable with standardized testing you could definitely get above a 300 with just a few weeks of review). Though prestigious schools and majors can add to an application, I feel that what you say in your personal statement and interview will be weighted much more since your stats are so awesome. Good luck!

I havnt taken the GRE or even started studying because I'm flat out exhausted haha. I finished my BA last week so I'm taking some time away from books.

But I appreciate all the encouragement. I guess I feel like that last rejection really got to me.

My essay is pretty decent but then again I don't like to talk about myself so anything I put I usually don't like.

Im going o try to study for a few weeks and see how the GRE works out.

If you are completely happy with the 9 schools you have chosen, I wouldn't bother taking the GRE, especially with your stats, I doubt you'll have a problem. But if you really want to apply to more schools, the GRE will open the doors for that. Always consider the extra cost that goes into each school you add on to your list. Applying to 9 schools is probably a pretty good number as it is, depending on the situation.

I really don't think adcoms have the time to sift through which applicants went to a prestigious school and who didn't. There are many other factors that speak louder than names (in my opinion).

Archived