Task Force Report on FPAR

I received the link to the task force report and started reading it with some trepidation but was pleasantly surprised. While I still view the name chnage from FPAR and political soft shoe I think the report and its recommendations and well researched and well articulated. If the HOD doesn't pass it.... there should be pitchforks and torches. Oh...and the votes should be transparent. State membership deserves to know how the elected representatives vote on issues that are important to them.

Guest Paula

I agree Scott.  It will be a step forward and must pass.  I was shocked to find out the voting for the HOD is all done on a voice vote, so whoever shouts Yea the loudest gets the resolution passed.  Or loudest Nay gets it defeated.  Seriously, I was aghast. 

I will be coaching my state representatives to tune up their loudest shouting voices.  

In an electronic age we can't even figure out how to have our delegates votes counted  and be transparent?  Shame on us. 

I’m glad to see the task force has finally put on a report. However, due both of you actually like the new terminology, “OPTIMAL TEAM PRACTICE”? I think the task force missed the mark on this, what’s the problem with using the original terminology of “FULL PRACTICE AUTHORITY”!!!!!

I agree Scott.  It will be a step forward and must pass.  I was shocked to find out the voting for the HOD is all done on a voice vote, so whoever shouts Yea the loudest gets the resolution passed.  Or loudest Nay gets it defeated.  Seriously, I was aghast. 

I will be coaching my state representatives to tune up their loudest shouting voices.  

In an electronic age we can't even figure out how to have our delegates votes counted  and be transparent?  Shame on us.

I am shocked that major decisions are left to voice vote. Just another good reason I don't support the AAPA.

I am shocked that major decisions are left to voice vote. Just another good reason I don't support the AAPA.

Well in fairness they also hoist a tankard of ale and shout "huzzah!" It is a rowdy time. :-)

It needs to be changed and with the new leadership and transparency they have been showing I suspect it will. It won't/can't be done before this HOD but I am hanging in there....I have faith for now.

Guest Paula

I'm not a fan of Optimal team practice terminology.  But putting the resolution into revising the State Guidelines is a smart move, I think.  I hope so anyway.  

When I first reviewed this resolution, I became quite confused, surprised and disappointed with the JTF’s conclusions on their final research and recommendations to utilize the terminology “OPTIMAL TEAM PRACTICE “to describe a PAs expanded scope of practice. This was mainly because for more than one year “a significant majority of people who have commented on social media (Huddle and Facebook) or emailed the Academy to expressed support for the JTF proposal, which the JTF called “Full Practice Authority and Responsibility”. And on other forums when PAs have been discussing the future of PA practice the generally accepted terminologies were either “Full Practice Authority” (FPA) or “Full Practice Authority and Responsibility” (FPAR).

I’m very perplexed by why the task force elected not to use the either of these two terminologies to define PA scope of practice. Especially, when in November 2016, the task force released its first report on PA Full Practice Authority and Responsibility which asserted the profession should consider and commit to this process that seeks to make the PA profession and individual PAs more accountable. I’m also not sure why the JTF chose not to create a stand-alone policy defining their new terminology of Optimal Team Practice, however; I have no problem with them amending the current position paper on “Guidelines for State Regulation of PAs”. I get it, the revised JTF proposal for “Optimal Team Practice” emphasizes the PA profession’s desire to continue to work closely in teams with physicians, but I don’t understand why they didn’t even include the terms FPA or FPAR anywhere in the amended position paper.

I believe one could argue that Full Practice Authority is the major tenant of Optimal Team Practice. The JTF also reported that when states constituent organizations do finally start to seek legislation for expanded PA scopes of practice that uses the terminology could be optional based on the individual constituent chapter’s preference. That’s why I think it’s important to include the terms FPA or FPAR somewhere within the amended position paper.

I think it is the never ending worry about upsetting the physicians or sounding too aggressive.. It is a tired old problem.I hope the transition we are starting to see in leadership will result in having organizations who want to act like we are a real profession deserving or respect and status. Baby steps....and I think I'm seeing some.

Archived