On Call Pay

I am contemplating taking a part time job in corrections medicine, about 14 hours a week. I was asked if I would consider taking call every other week. Basically I would be splitting call with the physician, 1 week a time, phone call only. I would not be required to go into work.

What sort of compensation would you expect, or negotiate? I'm sort of clueless about on-call pay.

Thanks!

I am contemplating taking a part time job in corrections medicine, about 14 hours a week. I was asked if I would consider taking call every other week. Basically I would be splitting call with the physician, 1 week a time, phone call only. I would not be required to go into work.

What sort of compensation would you expect, or negotiate? I'm sort of clueless about on-call pay.

Thanks!

I take call 1 week a month. phone consultation only and I manage it very conservatively. maybe 10 calls a week? i get a free cell phone. I am paid reasonably well for what I do otherwise so I didnt negotiate anything extra when I joined the call rotation. a BIG QUESTION would be how busy the call is. If you are taking several calls a day this could be worth quite a bit of money. I am not experienced enough to answer this question but it seems like the equivalent of 4-6 hours pay is approrpriate

I take call 1 week a month. phone consultation only and I manage it very conservatively. maybe 10 calls a week? i get a free cell phone. I am paid reasonably well for what I do otherwise so I didnt negotiate anything extra when I joined the call rotation. a BIG QUESTION would be how busy the call is. If you are taking several calls a day this could be worth quite a bit of money. I am not experienced enough to answer this question but it seems like the equivalent of 4-6 hours pay is approrpriate

call rate should be 25% of a single days pay to cover one week night call (m-th)

if you cover weekend should be $1000 to $2000

I know it sounds high - but this is a quality of life thing for the doc's and they know how much of a PIA call is. Problem is there is to many PA's that will just say 'sure' to call and that undermines everyone....

I would say an hourly rate of about $15/hour to carry a pager (or about 1/4 your hourly rate)

DO NOT GIVE AWAY YOUR CALL SERVICES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(the longer you are a PA the more you will realize this.....)

call rate should be 25% of a single days pay to cover one week night call (m-th)

I know it sounds high - but this is a quality of life thing for the doc's and they know how much of a PIA call is. Problem is there is to many PA's that will just say 'sure' to call and that undermines everyone....

I would say an hourly rate of about $15/hour to carry a pager (or about 1/4 your hourly rate)

WOW! Great Advice! Much appreciated!

WOW! Great Advice! Much appreciated!

Archived