Advise on staying or leaving position

Hello all, a little long story here about my first job as a PA looking for some advise on what to do.

I graduated pa school last December and have been working since may. I was hired as the 3rd pa for a general surgery practice. We assisted one vascular surgeon sometimes too. After a few months it was decided to have more residents, so instead of 3 residents being split between general, vascular and trauma there were 3-4 just for general. It was decided that I would go to ENT in the same physician group and have been there since August. The practice is new, about 1 year old. I work with 2 great doctors and couldn't ask for a better office staff. Ever since I've been there though I've struggled with wanting to leave. I never would have applied to an ent job but accepted the move because I was only working for 3 months and didn't feel I had enough experience to leave and try finding a completely new position. I don't have a contract other than for a bonus. But I am bored with ent. I really enjoy inpatient medicine and vascular surgery. In ent I am mostly outpatient except for surgery once a week and seeing some patients on my own but am still mostly shadowing after 6 months. it is a lot different than general with a lot to learn still so I don't mind shadowing, but I don't feel like a functional PA most days. I randomly will see consults with the docs and we have been getting bigger surgical cases that need an assist but it's only 1 per week. I'm struggling with wanting to leave, but I feel bad about it. They're planning for me to be trained to do allergy testing as well which will bring more patients for me to see on my own, but it's really not what I want to be doing. I've been planning to stay until my 2 year mark, but I am commuting 3 hours a day for a job I'm bored with. The people I work with are great and I have a great schedule and a ton of vacation time, so I'm struggling with being comfortable in an easy position but wanting something different at the same time. Should I wait it out and hope the practice gets busier and gain more experience or should I find a more satisfying position? Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you

Your job changed under you and you know what you are missing. If you are sure you know what your future there will be like and it's not for you, it's time to look around for something else. Waiting two years will only make your skills stale and you more cynical.

Good luck!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Only you can answer that question. I encourage you to do some thinking about what you want out of your career and use that as your guide on whether you should stay or go.

Some people are fine working any decent job for a paycheck while others need a sense of fulfillment. Co-workers are an important consideration too. Even if the practice gets busier, I agree with UGoLong in that staying when you know what's going happen and it's not what you want will only make your skills stale and you more cynical. Perhaps you should start looking elsewhere and find a position with similar attributes but in a more stimulating field. As ventana suggested, talk to HR and express your displeasure with the move. Maybe they have options.

To give you some insight into where I'm coming from, I was offered a comfy position with a great surgeon. It was a field I had some experience in and it was very one-track, doing the same thing all the time. In my current job, I work with a great surgeon and patients who are grateful. Even though it's longer hours and more work than the comfy job, it is extremely fulfilling and honestly fun. For me, I need something that is challenging and keeps me going, and that's what I get out of my job now. I'm sure I'll eventually wise up and kick myself for not taking the easy job. But for now, I love what I do.

Archived