Job interview questions

So I decided to pull the trigger and apply to several jobs over the weekend. I posted recently about being in a bad work situation as a new graduate. I have been at my current job for 5 months. When I interview with the potential employers, I know it is okay to say that my other job wasn't a good fit. What do you do though if they push for more specific answers? Also, the jobs I applied for are in a different city an hour away. I applied to jobs there because I am currently in a long distance relationship with my boyfriend. He is originally from that city and took a new job there shortly after I took my current job. If they ask why I am moving to a new city, is it okay to say for family and personal reasons in addition to being a good institution to work for?

Also, what were some of your most challenging interview questions?

So I decided to pull the trigger and apply to several jobs over the weekend. I posted recently about being in a bad work situation as a new graduate. I have been at my current job for 5 months. When I interview with the potential employers, I know it is okay to say that my other job wasn't a good fit. What do you do though if they push for more specific answers? Also, the jobs I applied for are in a different city an hour away. I applied to jobs there because I am currently in a long distance relationship with my boyfriend. He is originally from that city and took a new job there shortly after I took my current job. If they ask why I am moving to a new city, is it okay to say for family and personal reasons in addition to being a good institution to work for?

Also, what were some of your most challenging interview questions?

I didn't get a lot of questions like typical interview stuff. It was more about what the practice was like. Did I have questions. What is your background. Do you know how to CYA? They want someone capable that they can train and trust. My second job they again didn't have a lot of questions they just needed someone and wanted to make sure I was able to do job requirements

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been asked that question several times.  I think it is reasonable to say that you have family in the area. They want to know that you have ties to the area that will keep you there. I'm a huge outdoor recreation person so I also make sure to mention the outdoors opportunities the area has to offer to me. 

Both are cards you can play, you just gotta choose when to play them.  

Certainly nothing wrong with saying you are moving to new town because someone important to you lives there.  Caution - some people (like myself) may see that as a possible red flag.  I dunno if I want to hire someone who moves because of a boyfriend.  Boyfriends come & go, does that mean you're going to move every time you meet a new guy on Match.com?  (Not saying YOU are like that, but would bring that question to my mind during that interview).   Different story for spouse/betrothed.

Also nothing wrong with giving a SHORT, and well-crafted answer about why the first job wasn't a good fit so you're moving on. 

Been here many times. Dont get into detail, just keep it professional and be accountable.

"You know I was really hoping to stay at my previous job for awhile, but it became evident as time went on that they weren't willing to help me get up to speed on certain things and the practice environment itself was very adversarial. I gave it my due diligence but I didn't want to let a bad situation get worse."

If they ask follow up questions on that, you can expound a little, just be very careful not to come off as a victim. You're a new grad, you need some staging to get up to speed, and it was a very negative atmosphere.

You can say you have family in the area, but don't mention the boyfriend---no one cares and it sounds flaky.

So the "why did you leave your last position" question is very telling to employers about whether or not you'll be a good fit at this new job.  I would definitely stay away from any complaining about your current job.  Just talk about how you wanted to move into this new area for personal reasons, or find something positive to say about the job that you're interviewing for.

Archived