Using CME Responsibly

I started my first job two weeks ago, and had to use a moderate amount of CME money before the end of the year, or lose it.  I ended up choosing a dermatology training in New York for primary care providers.  The money went toward airfare and training, and there wasn't much left over.

I love to travel, and have noticed a fairly large market for people who need CME that provides training in places like Hawaii, Jamaica and Mexico.  But I seriously doubt all of these trainings are effective.

There doesn't seem to be much out there on using CME money effectively.  How can I separate good value CME from the rest?  Does anyone have tips?  Does anyone know of CME providers with good reputations, or places that have provided good experiences?

My CME funds are spent for this year, but I've already been told to start planning next years CME now.

What has always worked for me is joining and participating in a good specialty PA organization (in my Urgent Care days, SEMPA) and then being pleasantly surprised when they schedule a yearly conference someplace nice and/or fun. Did I attend more hours of training the year SEMPA was in Tempe AZ vs the year it was at Walt Disney World?... well, yeah. But I don't see that as an issue, necessarily.

I used Audio Digest Complete for one year subscription and finished slightly more than 1000 (One thousand) Category I CME. The price for the complete version is $999 today. So it works out to about $1 per CME Cat I hour. You should only use this if you love listening to audio lectures and you like taking pre and post tests and you have a lifestyle that fits with daily study. For the time when I used it, it was awesome. For the record, I have no affiliation with Audio Digest. 

Don't forget your alphabet courses stuff that you may or may not need to work - ACLS, PALS, NRP, ATLS - not all places pay for these for you (my place pays for my BLS, PALS, ACLS only - ATLS/NRP comes out of my pocket or CME budget).  Up To Date is a great tool as well...and we get that free through work as well.  I save money for conferences or special courses like ultrasound, ATLS, and pick and choose how my money gets spent each year.

SEMPA is getting my budget this year.

SK

Archived