TJU vs PCOM

Hello All,

I am trying to decide between Thomas Jefferson University's PA program and Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine's PA program. It is difficult to know anything about TJU's program because it is relatively new and therefore there is not a ton of info online about it. I was hoping students from TJU and PCOM could vouch for their programs and tell me why perhaps they chose one program over the other (if they got accepted into both).

Or if anyone knows anything good or bad about either program, it would also be helpful to know.

Thank you in advance!

MJ

In my general knowledge, PCOM is well known, very established, and has continued accreditation. I would pick a more established program over a newer program since their curriculum is figured out, PANCE scores are known, rotations are more stable. PCOM is slightly more expensive (PCOM $90k versus TJU $78k); standard of living is the same. I would pick PCOM over TJU. 

Hello All,

I am trying to decide between Thomas Jefferson University's PA program and Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine's PA program. It is difficult to know anything about TJU's program because it is relatively new and therefore there is not a ton of info online about it. I was hoping students from TJU and PCOM could vouch for their programs and tell me why perhaps they chose one program over the other (if they got accepted into both).

Or if anyone knows anything good or bad about either program, it would also be helpful to know.

Thank you in advance!

MJ

Hey! I am in the middle of the same exact decision.

At first, I was almost sure I would pick PCOM because it is more established, but now I'm playing tug of war in my mind! Of course the price tag is a factor--are the advantages of a more established program worth the higher price?  Also, I would prefer the location of TJU...plus I thought the facilities were very nice/new at TJU and its appealing to be associated with a large medical center/network.  However...I was more attracted to PCOM's curriculum...it seemed more thought out. I was also into the medical specialty clubs that both DO and PA students participate in (I am not sure if TJU has something similar). The school also has less programs/departments than TJU, so it felt like there may be more focus/attention given to the PA program. Finally, as stated above, PCOM may have a better relationship and understanding of their preceptors since it has been working with some of them longer.  I personally also like the possibility of travelling around the country for rotations at PCOM (though that could be a negative for some).

Another factor: all of the classes are taught by PAs at PCOM (aside from one DO), while they're taught by a mix of PA's and physicians at TJU.

Nothing is really black and white, but these are some of the factors I am personally considering in my decision.  I tried to determine the age range of students at each school but it appears about the same (I am a bit older than the average).

Good luck! Message me if you have any thoughts or let me know what you decide! It's a tough decision for me.

LIBK13 you said just about everything I have been thinking about. There is definitely that safety in PCOM knowing that is already an amazing program with great PANCE pass rates but I also feel like TJU will get there as well. I like that PCOM has cheap parking options at its garage and lot but again the program is more expensive so it may come out to be the same thing. I also agree that it would be awesome to attend such a renowned medical college as TJU (a lot of people have a bad stigma attached to DO schools) but I do have a bit of a personal draw to whole body holistic healing. And then again the PA training does not differ so it is not that PA students from a DO school will be trained under the holistic approach. And yes, I did prefer the curriculum at PCOM. TJU has a bit of a longer break between the first summer and fall sessions if that makes a difference for you. Also the Health Mentors Program at TJU seemed like an amazing opportunity! 

To me PCOM did seem a bit more sophisticated and the program more intensive, but TJU had a bit of a friendlier vibe. Both have very different things that shine - it is making the decision very difficult!

Very tough decision or me as well. Let me know which you end up choosing and I will do the same!

Thanks for the chat! Good luck to you!!!

TJU may be new but their first graduating class did have a 100% PANCE pass rate! If you decide to attend I'll see ya there! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True!!! 

Are you attending TJU now as a first year or did you accept an offer and will be starting next year?

Congrats!!! Which day did you interview at TJU? And if you don't mind me asking what else made you choose TJU over perhaps some other schools?

Thanks!

I interviewed on 9/12 I believe!! Some of my main reasons for choosing TJU were the location, the connections/resources available in the area, and its close proximity/connection to the hospital! Also doesn't hurt that it's a very well known school. Its successful medical school makes me confident that the PA program will be just as successful!:)

I interviewed on 9/12 I believe!! Some of my main reasons for choosing TJU were the location, the connections/resources available in the area, and its close proximity/connection to the hospital! Also doesn't hurt that it's a very well known school. Its successful medical school makes me confident that the PA program will be just as successful!:)

I interviewed on 10/3. All very good points! And definitely on my list of why it's an amazing school! 

Thank you!!!

Just had to throw my two cents in on this one :) I was a member of TJU's inaugural PA class and I also had to make the very same decision as you both. I loved PCOM's curriculum and was really impressed with the school overall, but I ultimately decided on TJU and I'm happy that I made the choice that I did. For me, location was really key and you can't beat the center city neighborhood that TJU is in. My advice is to go with whichever one you felt the most at home/comfortable with. You will learn what you need to learn no matter which school you choose. The small differences in curriculum won't mean much in the long run. Also be sure to carefully review the rotations available at each school - those WILL matter! Try to do rotations in places that you might want to work...so many of us got jobs from the connections we made during rotations. A rotation in Hawaii might be cool, but if you have no intention of living there you might be losing out on networking opportunities that could help you land your first job. Hope this helps and good luck!!! Trust me, you'll be graduated and working before you know it - it goes by SO fast! Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions about TJU and I will try to answer them if I can.

@pbbls

Thank you so much for throwing your two cents in!!! It really helps to hear from the graduates! You make very good points! It is a hard decision but at the end of the day, becoming a successfully practicing PA is really what matters most.

Very true about the rotations. I did think it was pretty interesting that I could travel all over the country for rotations at PCOM but at the end of my education I will be looking for a job in the tri-state area so it would be great to build those connections here.

Thank you so much for your input! I really appreciate it! I will definitely reach out if there are any other questions I might have!

Just had to throw my two cents in on this one :) I was a member of TJU's inaugural PA class and I also had to make the very same decision as you both. I loved PCOM's curriculum and was really impressed with the school overall, but I ultimately decided on TJU and I'm happy that I made the choice that I did. For me, location was really key and you can't beat the center city neighborhood that TJU is in. My advice is to go with whichever one you felt the most at home/comfortable with. You will learn what you need to learn no matter which school you choose. The small differences in curriculum won't mean much in the long run. Also be sure to carefully review the rotations available at each school - those WILL matter! Try to do rotations in places that you might want to work...so many of us got jobs from the connections we made during rotations. A rotation in Hawaii might be cool, but if you have no intention of living there you might be losing out on networking opportunities that could help you land your first job. Hope this helps and good luck!!! Trust me, you'll be graduated and working before you know it - it goes by SO fast! Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions about TJU and I will try to answer them if I can.

Thank you so much for throwing your two cents in!!! It really helps to hear from the graduates! You make very good points! It is a hard decision but at the end of the day, becoming a successfully practicing PA is really what matters most.

Very true about the rotations. I did think it was pretty interesting that I could travel all over the country for rotations at PCOM but at the end of my education I will be looking for a job in the tri-state area so it would be great to build those connections here.

Thank you so much for your input! I really appreciate it! I will definitely reach out if there are any other questions I might have!

• 7 months later...

Archived