41 too old starting from scratch?

Hello,,,I am a 41 yro male, I have worked for ups for 18 years as a driver. I have had some medical issues that have limited being able to withstand the physical labor associated with my job ( heavy lifting, rough roads etc..)and probably will have to medically retire...if time and money were not an issue would trying to become a pa be realistic?..am I too late in the game?, I have read alot about "paid hands on exp", most schools seem to be graduate pa programs..obviously I need a bachelors and all pre reqs done..if time and money isn't a problem is it possible to get bachelors in biology or science in 2-3 years with summer school?..I just would like some insight from anybody that has been through or going through pa school..thank you

It's definitely possible to get a BA or BS in 3 years with summer school. I think there are also programs accepting students without degrees - I will let others speak to that.

From a student's perspective, be prepared to sit 8-9 hours a day during didactic year. I'm not sure if that part of driving gave you trouble... my father-in-law just retired from driving (35 years) and he says he's looking forward to regaining feeling in his ***. I feel like I'm curling in on myself from all the sitting.

You are NOT too late. We have "older" students in my program. Our second year class has a guy who might be in his 50s or 60s. :) If you want it, go for it.

Yes you can...

You can also apply to a Bachelors PA program and only concentrate on getting the pre-reqs required for the programs you apply to.

When I decided that I was going to attend a program... I didn't have any transferable college credits except the few granted for typical military service. To that point, ALL of my medical education (EMT-B/I/P and LPN/RN) was "tech school" and/or diploma programs. I didn't even have a Associates Degree. So I went all in.

I spent the next 15months (Jan-Mar) on campus... often from 0800-somtimes to 2100 taking classes... completing ~118 credit hours (mostly science) during this time by consistently taking between 25-35 credits every quarter except for summer quarter.

One consistent comment made at the 7 interviews I attended was that it was obvious I could handle the course load/work and pace of programs since I maintained a 3.8 GPA during that 15months.

I was accepted into several program 16months after I began the quest. I attended a 16 month dual NP/PA Certificate program. Started working as a PA-C and completed a Bachelors in health sciences and a Masters in PA studies later at my leisure. I'm currently considering completing a PsyD.

Moral of the story....

Yes... it can be done.

We had a few 50-57 yr olds in my class yrs ago.

Age is only a limiting factor if YOU allow it to be.

Go get it... if you want it...!!!!

41 isn't too old to start from scratch... It will not be easy, but it most certainly can be done... Depending on the local colleges in the state you are in, you may find a BS program and consider a MS bridge program later on. You have many options... Most important though, keep that GPA up, especially sciences!!! Good Luck to ya! You can do it!

You may be 44-45 when you are done, but you will be that anyway, might as well have a great new career that you love to go with it!

I am in the midst of doing it right now and started at 42. You will find it a bit easier in some ways because you will be more focused than some of the other younger students. Best of luck! Get a BS program and you will be done a little faster unless you already have a degree.

why would you think that because a student is older then they would have a difficult time? I've seen this statement a lot over the past few years and I think its extremely insulting to make the assumption that older = dumber. Let an "older" student fail out of a program and its because of their age but let an "younger" student fail out and its because of some other excuse. Students fail out and struggle with things all the time and it's not age related so lets put this to bed once and for all. I'm the second oldest in my class at 41 and we've had young and old fail out for various reasons but never because of their age. Believe what you want but older does not mean the student will struggle, it's insulting. Oh, and my GPA now is better than it was in undergrad when I was a "younger" student....

Oh, and to the OP, your never too old to do what you want in life. I say get to work, your only getting younger.

When I went to RT school in my late 30's I did notice it was a little difficult to learn how to study again. It took about a semester to figure out how I learn best. But the 18 year olds in my class struggled with that too. I think a medical education requires a different set of learning skills (at least for me anyway).

I will 40+ if/when I start PA school. Probably about 45 when I graduate. But I'll be 45 anyway so I might as well be a 45 yo grad as not.

I started PA school @ 53 - will graduate @ 55. I had an undergrad in computer science from the 80's and went back to community college to get the pre-reqs starting in my late 40's. I did have HCE - I'd been a volunteer and part-time firefighter/paramedic for years. I'm very much keeping up with the "kids" in my program - one of the students I taught as a adjunct instructor at a community college, went to grade school with another's father-in-law.

My advice: develop a plan that includes a detailed time line of several things:

1) What education you'll do each year. You might want to look into some of the 3+2 BS->PA masters combined programs.

2) What the finances will look like each year.

3) What the healthcare work you'll be doing each year will look like.

4) How you'll keep things going with the family/loved ones each year.

It could easily take 7-8 years to get it done. That means you'll start working as a PA ~ age 50. Very doable to work another 10-20 years. If things 1-4 all look doable, and better choices than the other alternatives, like continuing in your current career, or other career changes, go for it. Age isn't keeping me from doing it. (Age was limiting my future as a FF/medic)

Any evidence that the older students are having a particularly difficult time?

We are just finishing our second week, and have only had quizzes so far. I don't see where age is an issue in how well you do. I can tell you that my many years of experience as a paramedic is helping me now, and will help even more in my clinical year. I also bring a lot of life experience and maturity to the table, something that a 20-something isn't going to do. Many of the things we are reading about, I have already done and seen. I recently had a PA student tell me that she was excited that she got to start 6 IVs and work two codes during the first week of her ER rotation. I have already started thousands of IVs and worked hundreds of codes. You think that doesn't give me an advantage?

Any evidence that the older students are having a particularly difficult time?

We are just finishing our second week, and have only had quizzes so far. I don't see where age is an issue in how well you do. I can tell you that my many years of experience as a paramedic is helping me now, and will help even more in my clinical year. I also bring a lot of life experience and maturity to the table, something that a 20-something isn't going to do. Many of the things we are reading about, I have already done and seen. I recently had a PA student tell me that she was excited that she got to start 6 IVs and work two codes during the first week of her ER rotation. I have already started thousands of IVs and worked hundreds of codes. You think that doesn't give me an advantage?

You can definitely do it. I received a bs in biology in a three year time period and also took a night class to become certified as an emt during that time. If being a PA is what you really want, you can make it as long as you work hard. Also, if you go ahead and get certified as an emt early in your academic career (my class was a six month class two nights a week) you can start working on your hce hours and get paid at the same time. Good Luck!!

You can definitely do it. I received a bs in biology in a three year time period and also took a night class to become certified as an emt during that time. If being a PA is what you really want, you can make it as long as you work hard. Also, if you go ahead and get certified as an emt early in your academic career (my class was a six month class two nights a week) you can start working on your hce hours and get paid at the same time. Good Luck!!

• 4 weeks later...

What school are you attending?

I started PA school @ 53 - will graduate @ 55. I had an undergrad in computer science from the 80's and went back to community college to get the pre-reqs starting in my late 40's. I did have HCE - I'd been a volunteer and part-time firefighter/paramedic for years. I'm very much keeping up with the "kids" in my program - one of the students I taught as a adjunct instructor at a community college, went to grade school with another's father-in-law.

My advice: develop a plan that includes a detailed time line of several things:

1) What education you'll do each year. You might want to look into some of the 3+2 BS->PA masters combined programs.

2) What the finances will look like each year.

3) What the healthcare work you'll be doing each year will look like.

4) How you'll keep things going with the family/loved ones each year.

It could easily take 7-8 years to get it done. That means you'll start working as a PA ~ age 50. Very doable to work another 10-20 years. If things 1-4 all look doable, and better choices than the other alternatives, like continuing in your current career, or other career changes, go for it. Age isn't keeping me from doing it. (Age was limiting my future as a FF/medic)

Archived